Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this laptop for a while and love it, but the start menu keeps popping up randomly.  This gets very aggrivating when I'm trying to type as whatever I'm typing starts a search string.

I have tried disabling the touch screen, disabling the touch pad, turning off the Cortana options and resetting some of the touchpad options.  Nothing has helped.

Several google seraches found many people with the same problem, but all of their fixes didn't work for me.  Some of them had to return the laptop for another.  I'd REALLY rather not.  

So, suggestions?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@micahhowery wrote:

I've had this laptop for a while and love it, but the start menu keeps popping up randomly.  This gets very aggrivating when I'm trying to type as whatever I'm typing starts a search string.

I have tried disabling the touch screen, disabling the touch pad, turning off the Cortana options and resetting some of the touchpad options.  Nothing has helped.

Several google seraches found many people with the same problem, but all of their fixes didn't work for me.  Some of them had to return the laptop for another.  I'd REALLY rather not.  

So, suggestions?

Hi micahhowery,

Thank you for posting. Kindly check the steps below. (Just skip the ones that you tried before)

Start Menu keeps popping up or opens randomly in Windows 10

You may try these suggestions in any order you wish.

1] Physically check your WinKey on your keyboard and ensure that there are no particles lodged there and it is functioning properly.

2] Update your Synaptics/Touchpad device drivers and see. If you updated them recently, then rollback the driver and see.

3] Open your TouchPad settings. You will be able to access it via Control panel > Mouse properties & settings. Configure your Touchpad settings like Pressure, etc properly. Did that help? No? Then disable 2-finger & 3-finger scrolling and see. Does unchecking Right Edge Swipe help? If not, you can, set all settings to Default and see. If even this does not help, disable TouchPad and see.

4] If you have any third-party Start Menu replacement installed, uninstall it, run System File Checker and see if it helps.

5] Hide Search or Cortana icon in Taskbar and check. Right-click on the taskbar, select Cortana and choose Hidden.

6] If you have 3-finger tap to launch Cortana enabled, disable it and check if that helps you.

7] Use the Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter and see if it helps.

8] Perform a Clean Boot and see if this problem persists. If it does not, then you will have to identify the offending software which is interfering, by trial and error method.

9] Click on the Taskbar Cortana button, open Cortana settings and toggle the Taskbar tidbits switch to the Off position.

Start Menu keeps popping up

10] Completely disable Cortana and see if that helps.

Start Menu keeps popping up EXPLAINED.

If you are concerned about the fact that the Windows 10 Start Menu always opens up after your computer comes out of Sleep Mode or Hibernation, know that this is the intended behavior and you have nothing to worry about.

Windows 10 Start Menu always opening up

By design whenever your Windows 10 PC comes out of Sleep or Hibernation, it is expected to restore the same state your PC was in before you exited.

Windows 10 Start Menu always opening up

So if you used Power Options> Restart which is present in the Start Menu, your Start Menu would have been open before your computer went to Sleep and so it would remain open after you came back to your desktop after Sleep. If you had left a Notepad window open, that too would have been open once you resumed.

If you don’t like this behavior for whatever reason, there is a simple workaround. Don’t use the Start menu to Sleep or Hibernate. 

Use the Power Option in the WinX Menu, which appears when you right-click on the Start Button.

Click on Shut down or sign out > Sleep.

That is all there is to it!

However, you do have a problem if your Start Menu keeps popping up or opens randomly anytime! In this case you might have to check your Touchpad and other settings.

On a lighter note, you should be happy the Start menu opens up on its own – there are some for whom the Start Menu just won’t open!

Source: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-keeps-popping-up

Regards,

ichi

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having the same problem on spectre folio. Were you able to fix this problem. If yes, please share the solution. I have also tried to do things that  you have already mentioned. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Snober1

Welcome to the HP Community

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number and the operating system?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi 

Model name :HP Spectre Folio Convertible 13

Model number: 4TL67UA#ABA

Serial number: [edited] OS: Windows 10

HP Recommended

@Snober1

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also, ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Not at all helpful. I wish there is thumbs down button for Hp products

HP Recommended

I have already these things, before asking assistance

HP Recommended

@Snober1

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Download and run the Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter from Microsoft.

Method 1:Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. 

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

If it does not help, use method 2.

Method 2: Run DISM tool and check the issue. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

neither of the methods worked!

There has to be a solution to this problem, as it is reported by so many users online. 

That is so frustrating, you buy a $1500 product and it is worst

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.