Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 14-2090eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi HP experts.

Last night i made a clean install with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with service pack 1 included - when that said i can only see one update in installed updates, and its kb 976902. And i also installed the nessecary drivers, and Trend Micro as my Internet Security - so far so good. For about 12 hours Windows Update has now been running without finding any updates at all, and it keeps running. I have tried in Windows firewall to make a firewall rule for C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe - because i read somewhere that it might be the firewall that blocked Update - and i have tried to run the windows update diagnostic tool, and it said it solved a couple of things and then i restarted the laptop but still no luck.

I hope that one of you can help me on the way to a functioning Windows Update, so do any of you have a solution ? It would be very much appreciated.

Also i have to say that i have a reserve laptop, where i for a long time ago also made a clean install with windows 7 home premium 64 bit, and on that one it takes a very long time to run update also, but a least it finds something. So perhaps i a doing something wrong on both laptops ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would install KB3102810 and restart the PC and then run windows update again.

This is what the second patch is supposed to take care of...

Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 

When you install updates by using System Center Configuration Manager, the installation takes a long time, and System Center Configuration Manager becomes overloaded.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Install both of these patches,  restart the PC and see if that gets Windows update to work for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

HP Recommended

Hi paul

First of all thank you for your reply. 

10  minutes after your reply i started to run the  kb 3083710 and it still says windows update standalone installation program - searching for updates on this computer

Do you think i should just still let it run ? Also i would like to now if it is only the first x64 file thats listed and try to install ? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would install KB3102810 and restart the PC and then run windows update again.

This is what the second patch is supposed to take care of...

Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 

When you install updates by using System Center Configuration Manager, the installation takes a long time, and System Center Configuration Manager becomes overloaded.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thank you for your replies.

I dont quite understand if you just want me to skip kb 3083710, and then install  KB3102810, and then afterwards again install kb 3083710 ? Kb3102810 installed without problems

Best regards

hpenvy1

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Once again io just have to say thank you very very much -after installing KB3102810 it almost at the same popped up with 236 updates in windows update..

have a great week

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.