Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
13 AC-003TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a windows 10 64 bit machine x360 spectre...

I had a windows update a couple of days ago... now the computer wont shut down. It just reboots after 5 seconds.

It was windows update 1803.

Can anyone help? My fan is running more than usual, it's getting hot and battery is draining really quickly...

Please help... 😞

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Worms, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues shutting down your PC completely after the windows update.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Does the power light colour change when the PC goes to shutdown mode?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Try updating the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the graphics driver using this link. Click Here

Try the steps recommended below.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

Press F10 to Save and Exit.

Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Change the power options.

a)      First of all, Press "Windows + X" key in your keyboard. You will see many options on the left side.

b)      Choose "Power Options”.

c)      Now click on the option on the left which shows "Choose What the Power Button Does"

d)      Now check under "Power Button Settings". You will see "Sleep" option.

e)      Simply change it to "Shut Down". Check if the issue resolves.

Steps to re-install the power management on your computer

a)      Press "Windows + X" key in your keyboard. Choose "Device Manager".

b)      Click the plus (+) sign next to System Devices.

c)      Right-click the ACPI Fixed Features button and select Uninstall.

d)      Restart the system.

On restarting the system, Windows will automatically detect and install Power Management on the computer. Now try shutting down the problem, it should work.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left-hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shut down the notebook by right-clicking the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the UAC prompt.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, this doesn't work.

My laptop is constantly on and overheating. I cant turn it off. It's ruining my battery. 

This is doing my head in.

Very frustrating considering it cost nearly $4000...

HP Recommended

@Worms, Thanks for writing back to us.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Have you tried performing a recovery on your PC? Does the issue persist?

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery. Click Here

If you have tried performing a system recovery and if the issue still persists, it is a hardware issue with your PC.

I will share you few details through a private message about the service options dedicated to your laptop.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a pleasant day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.