Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laptop 15-bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This was previously posted under https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/KB4528760-boot-failures/m-p/74... but was never properly resolved. Any official support attempt to escalate to HP results in a suggestion to contact Dixons/PC-World "KnowHow". For obvious reasons, I really think this needs some assistance from HP directly and will not be contacting DSG,

The issues in the previous thread continue, in the interests of a stable system that is otherwise causing no issues I've kept all W10 updates on pause until recently when I tried again. This time, KB4556799 has well documented issues and sure enough, running W10 update results in a boot failure that is only recoverable by forcing recovery console & using a system restore point. This has been the same symptom and resolution for 6months now, across (I think) 4 separate W10 updates that are well documented as being problematic.

I'm guessing there's something awry in these updates that is conflicting with the specific hardware/software combination in my HP machine, and until that is resolved, then I am unable to install any updates. And since this machine is no longer on-sale, the chances of others encountering this problem and thus diagnostics reaching HP/Microsoft are depleting - which renders a perfectly reliable machine obsolete.

Running the HP support assistant offers numerous updates, a BIOS one among them. I'm contemplating installing this, but also a tad reluctant. I'm also contemplating trying to install (what I suspect are) non-problematic updates KB4497165 & KB4552931 manually. Another suggestion I've seen online is to fresh reinstall the latest version of W10 as a repair/reinstall. It feels extreme, but I'm contemplating it.

I'm not asking for a warranty claim, just some way of reporting my machine diagnostics to HP/MIcrosoft such that a possible hardware/software/update conflict/incompatibility can perhaps be identified. HP's support wizard just insists on my contacting DSG "KnowHow", I really don't think they can help here.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

By means of follow-up, a couple of days after posting this - it became quite well documented that there were issues with HP machines installing this latest update, which didn't come as any surprise.

I waited for the patch to become widely circulated, and was extremely relieved when KB4556799 installed without any apparent hitches.

The whole thing has made be very wary of HP's support process though - I am unable to recommend that anyone buying a new laptop running Windows 10, chooses HP.

HP Recommended

@japitts

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.