Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
vm285ua
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been getting multiple BSOD crashes ( 6 of them since February 2018 ). Per Nirsoft's BlueScreenView, all 6 have been caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Also per BlueScreenView, I can provide Bug check Strings, Bug Check Codes, Crash Addresses and Address in Stack information for each of the 6 crashes. The ntoskrnl.exe file version is 6.1.7601.24094 win7sp1_ldr_escrow.180330-1600). I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and it detected no errors.  I can't provide information for any of the BSOD crashes prior to Feb 2018. 

Can someone help me resolve this problem ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

admjgreer

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@admjgreer, welcome to the forum.

There are many causes for this error message.  One of the main ones is a bad driver.  I suggest going into the Device Manager and manually updating all of the the drivers for each component.  Here is a diagram of the Device Manager:

Capture.PNG

Go through each section and right click on the entry and select Update driver/Search automatically for updated driver software.  If there is an updated driver it will be found and installed.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your helpful and kind reply. All of my drivers are already up to date. Must be something else causing the problem.

admjgreer

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @admjgreer.  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a guide that will at least tell you what could be causing the error message.  You can try using the suggested software to see if it will solve your problem.

If not, you may want to backup your personal data and do a full System Recovery.  This will return your laptop to its original configuration.  Hopefully, without the glitches.  I know that it will certainly run better.  I do this at least once per year.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I'm not HP, i am a retired tech,  (vast bsod  cured) you mean this PC>

HP Pavilion dv6-2043us VM285UA

BSODS have vast causes, but here is a list  to narrow the cause.

All are caused by OS corruption, be that a virus or hardware cased (2 reasons there see?)

if you suspected a virus one could just  do the F11 recovery process and bam back to Day1, and all data lost.

are you backed up, that is first , any time a PC acts up, most times backing up is too late now. but not always.

one can even move the hdd to  other PC and copy all data from HDD bad to PC good, if not using drive encryption.

lets say that F11 fails, for any reasons,  or using real recovery media from HP fails.

can I assume the HDD is orginal ? an that the OS has not been replaced with OS from other sources than HP>?

HARDWARE:

0: does it BSOD of the old nasty  huge main battery is removed , running on only AC POWER?  super easy test, no?

1: put in a new coin cell if the RTC battery reads below 2.9v,. it's just nothing but pain , happens. forward.

2: remove all usb devices, does the BSODS end?

3:  remove all RAM, then test each one  , 1 by 1 in bank 0 ,see if each will run ok , by self and not BSOD,

no better memory test exists than running lots of code the BIOS mem tests are RUDIMENTARY,

3b: make 100% sure the PC is not over heating, did you clean it first or do heat tests on CPU and GPU>???????

4:Next up is more hardware , if you  gander at the PC, you will discover that there are many more things that can be removed.

if you read the service guide you can in most cases remove many many things.

a: modem card (its useless if there leave it out) dial up legacy devices.

b: wifi mini card, or wlan or blue tooth or all 3 , kick them all out ,  have mind set that things can short...!!!!

c: on mine there is this silly card reader, and DVD drive, out they go. and even more... looking finds them.

d:. last if it still BSODs, you can boot to any LINUX USB stick on mine , i boot to Unbutu V16 and pick try me.

does it crash in Linux?    by now most have been discovered, the cause.

the other software cure,  for for w7, besides HP  F11 fix.

is to run SFC  in  an elevated command prompt. (system file checker)

google how to run that and other Microsoft tests, on the same lines.

this checks for OS corruption.

One other way that I use is this (have endless ideas i do and keep at hand)

I have a box of blank HDD ( even spare ssd, there for faster testing !!!)

i then put it in this funny acting PC.

i load w7 on it.

does that run? it loads while I sleep so, no hardwork,  i wake up, go to the shop and test the the new OS.

for BSODS.

I then find that F11 recover  fails on the old HDD, and that the HDD is bad, by running SMART tests.

if the smart tests fail in any way the HDD is toast.  (i can run smart  from linux direct , Ubuntu v16 and up)

or from Crystaldiskinfo (free version) runs on windows.

i'd run SMART scan first, sure would ,here is one failing hard,

parameters seen.... Uncorrected !!!???

see 05 and C6,  hard nut dead, failed.  drive seems to work  kinda be ok but IS NOT OK. at ALL.

http://www.pcdied.com/smart-failed.JPG

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.