Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My laptop won't reset where it fully cleans and removes everything. I've done it once before. The second time I tried to do it, it didn't clean everything and it told me this. This third time, it doesn't do any cleaning at all. There's a message that tells me this. How do I get the laptop reset to factory settings again? The laptop is operating on Windows 10. Please help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JasmineTea, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

As you have already booted the computer to the recovery manager using F11, you can complete the recovery by selecting fully clean the drive. 

Follow the procedure mentioned under Recovery using HP Recovery Manager in the article shared. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@JasmineTea

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are want to do the factory reset on your HP notebook.

I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Pease provide me the notebook model number?
  • How did you perform the factory reset first time?
  • Do you have recovery media?

System recovery reformats the system drive, reinstalls the original operating system,

and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software.

Factory Reset reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system,

and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software.

Click here to know how to perform the system recovery.

(Note: You might loose all the data in your notebook while performing system recovery )

Let me know how it goes.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The notebook model number is 15-ay014dx. 

The first time I did the reset, I pressed F11 when I turned on the laptop. Then I clicked on "Troubleshoot," then "Reset this PC," then "Remove Everything," and then "Fully Clean Drive," which is the option for when people want to recycle their laptop. I wanted to reformat the entire hard drive.

HP Recommended

@JasmineTea

Thanks for the reply.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to perform the system recovery.

• Turn off the computer.
  • Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.
  • Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • From the Start screen, type recovery manager, and then select HP Recovery Manager from the search results.
  • If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide the confirmation. If a User Account Control window asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.
  • Under Help, click Windows Recovery Environment.
  • Click OK. The system will reboot into the Windows Recovery environment.
  • Click Recovery Manager.

Click here and follow the fourth link to complete the system recovery.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

will following the fourth link still work if I don't have any recovery media?

HP Recommended

Hi @JasmineTea, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

As you have already booted the computer to the recovery manager using F11, you can complete the recovery by selecting fully clean the drive. 

Follow the procedure mentioned under Recovery using HP Recovery Manager in the article shared. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked!!! The fourth link "Recovery using HP Recovery Manager" worked!!! Thank you!!!

It took two hours to reinstall the software and about two hours to install updates, in case anyone reading wants to know. 🙂

HP Recommended

@JasmineTea

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

If you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@Gloombane

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist.

As @Chimney_83 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I have watched the Youtube link you sent and see that the display on your HP laptop goes on and off. 

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• Please let me know the exact laptop model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any changes take place on the laptop?
  • Are you using Win8 or Win10?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Do not power on the laptop yet.

Now, let us check if the display issue persists in the BIOS:

• Power on the laptop and immediately hit the f10 key repeatedly (for 7-8 times).
  • This will load the BIOS on your laptop.
  • Please observe the screen in the BIOS and check if the issue repeats.

Also, if you have an external monitor available then you may try to connect it to the laptop and check if there is a good display on the external monitor.

I hope this helps. Keep me posted. Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.