Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
x7t88ua#aba
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

a few months ago, my n key stopped working and immediately after, my laptop froze. It wasn't unusual because my laptop does that when I put off updating it for too long it freezes and updates itself. Anyway, I turned it back on and my caps lock, n, and b keys stopped working. I have never put food or drinks within a few feet of it and there's no way that food or liquid could have gotten inside of it. I have searched everywhere for how to fix it, and I just cant find a solution. If there's a way anyone could help me, that'd be great. Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@goner

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher, is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉 

As I understand certain keys such as caps lock, n, & b aren't working anymore

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you changed the keyboard layout? ensure it's QWERTY & English?
    • As the recent update before the laptop froze, may have made those changes.
  • Did you check with an alternate user account or an external keyboard to check if all the keys on that work? 

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend: 

• Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust.  
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery (if its removable) and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds 

• Replace the battery, restart the notebook, 

• if the issue persists, I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have same prolem ad I also have ever had food o or ear the keyoard.

The above was typed with keyboard. This was using on screen keyboard 

HP Recommended

@tiggerlil

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

Have you attempted the troubleshooting steps suggested by  Riddle_Decipher in the previous Post?

I suggest you run a Test on the Keyboard to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Keyboard

Keep me posted on the outcome of the Test

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I attempted troubleshooting per Riddle_Decipher suggested and also component testing which failed. Turns out some other keys like = are also not working.

HP Recommended

@tiggerlil

Thanks for keeping me posted

I have sent you a Private Message. Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

caps lock, n, and b , plus, delete keys stopped working. 

HP Recommended

@Asha_p,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you are having issues with certain keys on your HP PC are not working. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you checked with an alternate USB keyboard if all the keys work?

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting this on HP Forums?

Could you please respond to this post with the details of the product, so that I can provide you with an accurate steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

My model no is 15-bs038dx.

Yes I checked the alternated USB keyboard, and it works.

Yes. I did perform the troubleshooting steps - like through HP support assistant, uninstalling keyboard driver - and then restart, etc.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Asha_p,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see that USB keyboard works fine, however you are having issues with the internal keyboard.

You have already exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps and nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.