Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My hard drive in my ENVY dv7 died for the second time in two years (it was under warranty last time and I was able to send it in to be fixed). I bought the exact same hard drive (Samsung, 1TB), tested it in BIOS, passed everything. When I try to do the image recovery with the HP Recovery Disks I received last time my hard drive died, I get an error while at 58% on recovery disk two that says:

Reducer

Copy File Fails

To: c:\RM\Image\BASE24.SWM

Press OK to retry.

I press OK and it does the same thing over and over again. :HalfEyes: The folks who have asked about this same type of error seem to get nowhere in here, but what choice do I have?! The hard drive is the same size, same manufacturer, same model, so it should have the issue of reimaging the system on a smaller hard drive, right?

I am just out of luck on this? So frustrated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

englejas

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems doing recovery and wanted to help.

Here is the link to the win8.1 media creation tool:  Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Understand, though, that you might run into a problem installing using the media created from this tool.

You have an HP OEM version of Win8 installed on your PC and that means that the product key embedded in the UEFI firmware of your motherboard is OEM, not retail.

While the media created from this tool SHOULD activate using that key, there is no guarantee that it will do that.  If it does not, you can use this tool to retrieve your product key and try entering it manually:  Download Windows OEM Product Key Tool - MajorGeeks

IF that still does not work, then your only recourse would be to order a new set of recovery disks from HP.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update".  If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entty and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.

Good Luck

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution" -- to help others find the solution.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
You look specifically on hard drive side, but is it possible that the recovery dvd is damaged OR not burned correctly?

You can download a windows 8 recovery disk via Microsoft (search for windows 8 media creation tool on Google)
And follow the steps on Microsoft website.

You can use a new empty DVD or USB
Maybe you have to enter the product key predelivered on your notebook.
When installing this newly created DVD or USB, you have a new clean Windows 8 installed.
HP Recommended

The recovery/driver disks are from HP, so I would think that they would be 'good'.

HP Recommended

englejas

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems doing recovery and wanted to help.

Here is the link to the win8.1 media creation tool:  Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Understand, though, that you might run into a problem installing using the media created from this tool.

You have an HP OEM version of Win8 installed on your PC and that means that the product key embedded in the UEFI firmware of your motherboard is OEM, not retail.

While the media created from this tool SHOULD activate using that key, there is no guarantee that it will do that.  If it does not, you can use this tool to retrieve your product key and try entering it manually:  Download Windows OEM Product Key Tool - MajorGeeks

IF that still does not work, then your only recourse would be to order a new set of recovery disks from HP.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update".  If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entty and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.

Good Luck

If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution" -- to help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your response to my question/predicament! So am I to understand then, that the set of recovery disks I got from HP are no good?

HP Recommended

Having no way to examine the disks you have, I have no way of confirming whether or not they are any good.

If they don't work, you have to take that up with HP -- we can do nothing about that from here.

HP Recommended

Well, I am making progress...sorta.

I did what you said and downloaded 8.1 on a USB drive. It loads and acts like it is working, but craps out with an "Error Code 0x8007025D" when I format the USB drive as FAT32. When I format it as NTFS, it doesn't find my OEM product key (which I do not have).

Am I using the wrong file system? I've wasted my whole day messing with this thing. : (

HP Recommended

Sorry, but you need the USB drive formatted as NTFS to use as a Windows installer.

I don't know why it's not seeing your product key, but I did provide a link for downloading a tool you could use to retrieve it -- and then enter it manually, if necessary.

Good Luck
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

HP Recommended

WAWood,

Thanks again for the response. It forces me to input my product immediately, before it installs Windows, so I don't get the opportunity to download the tool.

I've got nothing else to throw at it. I've tried "burning" an ISO image to the USB, the Download Tool form Microsoft, I've tried all the different formats. I give up.

HP Recommended

On my last ditch attempt, before I threw in the towel, I finally configured a recovery media that worked successfully.

1. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft on to the hard drive of my wife's computer

2. Downloaded Rufus and "burned" the ISO from her machibe to the USB stick. It needed to be configured for GPT partitioning and NTFS file system.

4. Reset BIOS to its default configuration and changed to boot order to USB

5. Rebooted my machine, it found my OEM Product Key, and the loaded/activated successfully!

It took me an entire day of trying different configurations and different settings, but I was finally able to get it figured out. I would advise anyone who reads this post NOT to order HP's recovery disks; download it from Microsoft and create your own boot media (either USB or DVD). Don't waste your money on corrupted disks that don't work!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.