Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 touchsmart

when I flip my laptop into tablet mode the keyboard stays live, so I end up type things all over the screen. Is there a way to manually disable the keyboard? Or am I missing something?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @manda2011,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that when you fold your Envy X360 into the tablet position the keyboard remains active.

I believe that it should automatically disable or suspend the keyboard function.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you checked for viruses and malware? MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant ?

If this is a recent change you can do a restore back to when it functioned correctly.

HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

I would first try a HP PCs - Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 8). 

This will reinstall the original operating system but should not affect your personal files.  I do recommend doing a backup first just in case.

Next would be to do a full recovery back to factory.

HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎

You will note that an opportunity to backup your data is provided during the recovery process.  If you have not yet done one now would be the time.

HP PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

If this was a recent purchase you should be in warranty and can contact HP support for assistance.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

To say thanks please click the thumbs up button below.

If this resolved the issue, please tell people by choosing solution provided.  This will allow it to be located with greater ease.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Sparkles, 

Do you have any suggestions that work? I'm trying to fix this problem also, but would like to do so without nuking my entire system, or changing the operating system.

Maybe HP could fix the drivers for this, instead of offering suggestions that aren't helpful?

Thanks?

HP Recommended

Hi @tim_23,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you have the same issue that when you put the notebook into the tablet position the keyboard remains active.

What is your exact model of HP Spectra X 360?

What operating system are your running?  If it is Windows 10 was it preinstalled when you purchased or did you upgrade it?

You could try a refresh, this will reinstall the operating system but should not affect your personal files?

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant ?

What are the results from the troubleshooting you have done?

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem - flipping sreen partially or fully to use as a tablet does not disable to keyboard.  Makes the convertible feature non-functional from a useability point of view.

I have two HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx systems, purchased within a week of each other, and both are exhibiting the same symptoms.  Both notebooks came with Windows 10.  All Windows  updates have been installed.

I have run the Microsoft Malicious Software tool - no issues found;  I applied all of the HP Driver updates as notified through HP Support Assistant.

Possibly related, is the fact that while my sensors have tested out OK, both notebooks are having issues with auto-rotation - for which I have tried and HP support has tried to resolve through system settings, registry edits, driver updates, etc., to no avail.

Bottom line - the ENVY's are functional as laptops, but completely unfunctional as tablets.  Other than generic start from scratch with operating system installs which appear to me as shots in the dark, has HP determined any specifics on cause and/or solution to these issues?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Exact same issue here. I just received my HP Envy x360 15t in the mail today and noticed when folding the laptop into tablet mode, the keyboard is still active. 

I installed all windows system updates, then looked for drivers on the HP site but could not find a solution. After becoming increasingly frustrated with how the machine was operating, I decided to purge the pre-packaged bloatware and wiped it with a clean install of Windows 10. Performance has improved immensely, but the keyboard issue remains.

HP Customer Care team: PLEASE read this and respond with something useful instead of the generic copy/paste 'restore your laptop' jargon. I literally pulled this thing out of the box and it didn't work. I shouldn't have to restore the computer during its first use. Tell us what driver or plugin we need to install!

HP Recommended

At the same time I was having the issue with the keyboard, I also had problems with the screen auto-rotation function - i.e. the screen would only randomly auto-rotate when I tried to use the notebook as a tablet.  My Envy was only a couple of weeks old.  I was having identical problems with my wife's Envy (same model) which we had had only a few days.

(Note - when I first set up both notebooks, I installed all of the Windows updates and all of the updates recommended by HP Support Assistant)

What we ended up doing was start from scratch and reinstall the OS from the ground up, including Windows updates.  (The Geek Squad recommended doing this as a last ditch effort before they gave me two new notebooks).  When I went to pick up the notebooks, the Geek Squad told me they did not and "never do" install manufacturer updates, only OS updates.

Whatever they did - IT WORKED - After reinstalling the OS - the screen now auto-rotates and the keyboard disables when I put it in either the tent or tablet configuration. 

This led to the deduction that it was likely one of the HP recommended updates that caused the issues.

What I have not done, and don't plan on doing, is installing the HP recommended updates one at a time until the system breaks again to figure out which update is the prime suspect. 

At this point all I can say is that when the updates below had been installed on two notebooks, both notebooks exhibited identical (bad) behavior of the screen auto-rotation function and the keyboard when trying to use the notebook as a tablet.  When the system was rebuilt and these updates were not applied, both functions worked as expected.   You can come to your own conclusions...    

HP Support Assistant Recommended Updates:

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver - SP74867, Ver 6.0.1.7730Bp2

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver - SP74725, Ver 14.5.2.1088Ap8

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Client Driver - SP74723, Ver 8.1.10603.192Ap7

HP System Event Utility - SP75216, Ver 1..40Ap11

Intel Bluetooth Driver for Microsoft Windows 10 -SP74382 Ver 18.1.1546.2762Mp1

TFS - Windows 10 RE Recovery Manager Installer - TDC - SP74707, Ver 2.00Ap5

HP Wireless Button Driver - SP74735, Ver 1.1.15.1Ap1

Power Media Player - SP74947, Ver 14.0.3.6129Cp1

I know, it is unlikely that a wireless button driver or bluetooth driver update would cause the screen to not auto-rotate or the keyboard to not disable in tablet configuration.  And I have my suspicions as to what updates might be the source of the issue, but I have already spent SO MUCH energy and time in getting to this point, I would rather go fishing (or anything else) than spend another 1/2 day or more trouble shooting my laptops. 

From now on, my update philosophy will be "if it is not broke, don't fix it".  If recommended updates do not specifically address an issue I am directly experiencing, or addsa function that I don't care about, then I am not installing them. 

Good Luck

PS - in all of the discussions I have had with HP engineers, they did tell me one thing emphatically - NEVER install a BIOS update using the "HP Support Assistant".   If you MUST install a BIOS update, download it directly from the HP website and install it directly from your system. I realize that this is a bit off topic for this thread, but a useful tidbit of information from the HP engineers that I thought worth sharing.

HP Recommended

Great information - thanks for taking the time to share it!

What's frustrating for me is I've installed a clean version of Windows 10 (and the necessary updates) using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, thereby removing the HP configurations bundled with the computer, but I'm still having the problem. Additionally, the auto-rotate funcitonality isn't working either. 

After some additional research on these forums, I came across a thread that mentions a similar problem for a different machine being resolved by a firmware sensor update (halfway down the page). Apparently this update isn't available for download and must be applied by a service technician, so I'm going to open a case with HP and hope they can do something similar for my machine.

I purchased my Envy from HP directly, so Geek Squad isn't an option for me unless I'm willing to pay (and I'm not, given this is my second day of ownership). 

HP Recommended

I definitely feel your pain.

Prior to going to Geek Squad, I spent quite a bit of time talking to HP Support.  They were aware of the auto-rotate problem and said they were working on it but could not suggest a resolution date target. 

Call them again, and don't be shy, escalate your issue by asking for a case manager.  If you stay in first level support you are just going to be frustrated.  I escalated to a case manager and the person was calling me every few days to see how I was doing.  He was prepared to send me two new ones.

I only went to the Geek Squad because I purchased my notebooks at Best Buy.  It was their idea to reinstall the OS as a last resort, and I was concerned that I would just get two more notebooks with the same problem, so I let them.  Maybe I just got lucky, but whatever they did on the first one, also worked on the second. 

In my earlier efforts to try to determine the root cause of the problem, I was also led down the path of checking the sensors.  I downloaded a sensor test from the Windows Store that if I recall correctly was a one time use tool.  It verified that my sensors were working perfectly fine.  It was a cool tool which shows the sensor response as you twist and turn your notebook in different directions.  I think it was called the SensorInfo App.  This will get you started.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh780319(v=vs.85).aspx

HP Recommended

Dear Mandy (others),

I had same problem and it took me some time to figure it our. Solution:

When in tabletmode, tilt screen to 90, 180 or 270 degrees. Do NOT keep the HP-logo at the bottem.

If HP-logo is at bottem, then keyboard will be enabled, else it will be disabled. (assuming tabletmode)

Good luck,

Antoni

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.