Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community,

I have HP elitebook 840 G3, bought reconditioned 2 weeks ago, windows 10 64bits.

I randomly get a blue screen, each time with one of the following stop codes:

•  memory management
  • dpc watchdog violation
  • attempted write to read only memory

the computer then remains for few seconds on that blue screen and restarts. it then works with no problem for several hours before having that same problem again.

I have tried many solutions without finding the cause of the problem:

• I checked and installed all drivers I could find
  • I ran  the command : chkdsk /f /r 
  • I ran the  mdsched.exe
  • uninstalled newly installed softwares
  • scanned for viruses with Windows defender and Mcafee
  • I ran sfc/scannow
  • I ran a RAM check with memtest86 tool
  • I ran HP PC Hardware diag UEFI SMART and extended tests on the SSD, both tests passed
  • I ran  PC Hardware diag UEFI Memory quick check, test Passed

I tried to do a recovery but as the device is recent, I can't find a recovery point older than when the problem started, so may be I have to restore windows from scratch ?, in that case will I lose Office 2013 license that came with the device ? (office license name: office15_KMS_client edition)

please is there anything else to be done for that blue screen error or this PC must to be returned to sender ?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

.@TzortzisG thanks and sorry for the delay, I had the notebook returned to seller for warranty and only received it 3 days ago.

the seller returned the device without changing any hardware, mentioning that it's a problem with malicious program so they did a clean install and returned it to me.

I was surprised with this feedback as I had done myself a system reset before sending it back, anyway I hoped they were right but of course not, the device crashed on that BSOD again.

I retried to install windows 11 with Wifi turned off as you suggested and it worked.

however I noticed that Win11 made things worst, the frequency of BSODs became almost every hour or less, while it was up to 24/36 hours on Win10.

based on that new frequency of BSODs, I thought it's now much easier to test hardware as I don't have to wait days to see results, so I started by removing one RAM of the 2, the problem remained, I removed the second RAM and now it has been more than 30 hours without problem, so I think this fixed the problem,

unfortunately I had wasted so much time running many memory testing tools from reputable brands: Windows, HP,  memtest86,etc... and the RAM passed all of them.

thanks all for your assistance and I hope this thread will help others having the same issue.

my advice would be to start by removing the RAM and testing with another one before doing any of the other software checks/commands/programs/drivers/etc... 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello @ouzaloid 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

thank you for your quick feedback, please find below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Professionnel

Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

System Model HP EliteBook 840 G3

W5L51UP#ABN

ProcessorProcessor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2808 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date BIOS Version/Date HP N75 Ver. 01.57, 28/07/2022

HP Recommended

Hello @ouzaloid 

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2Download and install / update

Intel Management Engine Driver

2141.15.0.2511 Rev.W229.8 MBNov 22, 2021Download

HP Battery Health Manager BIOS Setting Update

1.0.2.1 Rev.A0.5 MBNov 20, 2020Download

(3Reboot Windows

(4) Download and install / update

Intel Management Engine Firmware

11.8.92.4222 Rev.A11.6 MBApr 18, 2022Download

(5Reboot Windows

(6Test your computer

(7Please report your results

HP Recommended

Thanks, I've installed the files as you proposed,

However, I didn't get any window message or confirmation upon installing the battery tool and the intel management firmware, the installation wizard just opens the black command prompt at the end of installation and nothing happens later, I suppose this is normal and that's how it's supposed to work?

anyways, after installing the last one{Intel Management Engine Firmware} I got a windows notification [at the bottom right of the screen next to the clock] saying: "Intel ME Wireless LAN update unsuccessful" 

In order to test the computer I would need to wait for few hours/days to see if the blue screen stop code comes back again or not, and will let you know.

Thank you 

HP Recommended

Hello @ouzaloid 

You're welcome !

Quote: " ... update unsuccessful " means your system is already up-to-date.

Keep me updated

Good luck

HP Recommended

hello Ub6424, unfortunately this didn't help, the problem is still happening.

HP Recommended

Hello @ouzaloid 

Repair / Check Windows integrity

(1) Open cmd.exe (right click) as administrator and execute:

msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(2) Restart Windows

(3) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hello Ub6424

I ran the commands, these are the messages I got respectively:

msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic  ===> troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth ===> No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth ===>  No component store corruption detected.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  ===>  The restore operation completed successfully.

all checks are OK so may be we should try something else?

in the meanwhile, I've restarted the computer and will let you know of updates

HP Recommended

Hello Ub6424,

the computer was working perfectly since my last message, but unfortunately right now I've just got that blue screen and restart, the message it showed this time is:

• "page fault in non paged area"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.