Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY14-J106TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have an hp envy 14 series notebook,model no.-J106tx;(product no.-P6M86PA#ACJ) with windows 10. I want to install windows 7ultimate in it ,but every time when i'm trying to install i get an error message:-  "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.if you have a driver floppy disk,CD,DVD, or USB flash drive,please insert it now."

i saw some solutions on google and also in hp forum but it can't work for me. i tried many ways like installing the os through usb2.0,by the dvd, enabled the legacy mode,try to boot in uefi mode and all solutions which I know but I failed.my all 3 usb ports are usb 3.0 and I can't see the option " USB 3.0 configuration in pre-OS". So how can I install it now, will it install if I use a 3.0 usb drive?

Kindly help me anyone please.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on the HP ENVY Notebook - 14-j106tx Product Specifications page, your computer uses a 6th generation Intel chipset called "Skylake". Intel removed USB 2.0 support from the Skylake chipset, therefore normal DVD and USB Windows 7 installs will not work on 6th generation Intel chipsets. You have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 ISO using this Intel utility; 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

After running this utility and directing it to your Windows 7 ISO, the resulting ISO/USB/DVD should be able to install Windows 7 on your computer.

You may also need to provide the below driver for Windows 7 to see the hard drive... Extract the files onto another usb flash drive without any folders;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/In​​tel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driv...

You may need to install the below driver to make the USB ports usable in Windows 7;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/US​​B-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Contr...

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @MANSHU,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I understand that  you try to install Windows 7, but you receive the error "A required" CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.if you have a driver floppy disk,CD,DVD, or USB flash drive,please insert it now."

If you check device manager  does it show that the optical drive and USB ports are  working properly?  If you insert the USB when Windows 10 is running is it recognized? Did you turn off secure boot in the bios?

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
first of all thanks for your suggestion.

yes i forgot to mention that My notebook model does'nt have Any OPtical Disk Drive,I bought it separate that is also a HP product(model no.: dv600s). all of my notebook usb ports are working fine; I have not seen any issue. But i saw a suggestion that if I use bootable usb 3.0 then the problem can solve coz windows 7 installer does'nt support usb 3.0??
HP Recommended
yes i disabled the secure boot and also i enabled the legacy mode.
earlier i have an hp laptop with w8 pre-installed and I installed w7ultimate by this method,but in my new notebook I am failed to understand that what is the problem??
HP Recommended

Hi @MANSHU,

Thank you for the update.

When you connect the drive is it recognized in Device Manager? Have you tried updating the driver directly from Device Manager.  Right click on the  the optical drive  and choose update driver?  If it is not seen, try clicking on action at the top and scan for hardware changes.  You could also try using a USB 2.0 instead of an USB 3.0 .

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
yes it is recoginsed and it shows in the device manager.currently no updates are available because newest drive of odd is already installed,i did this step.
I was trying to install with 2 methods:- by a dvd and by a usb;my usb is 2.0.
if I use usb 3.0 rather than 2.0;is there any chances to solve my problem??
HP Recommended
sorry for the spelling mistake: recoginsed=recognised

please see it(an INDIAN website),here is my notebook specifications,perhaps it will give you a way to find a solution:

https://www.findyogi.com/laptops/hp/hp-envy-14-j106tx-p6m86pa-ci7-12gb-1tb-win10-home-4gb-graphic-b9...
HP Recommended

Based on the HP ENVY Notebook - 14-j106tx Product Specifications page, your computer uses a 6th generation Intel chipset called "Skylake". Intel removed USB 2.0 support from the Skylake chipset, therefore normal DVD and USB Windows 7 installs will not work on 6th generation Intel chipsets. You have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 ISO using this Intel utility; 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

After running this utility and directing it to your Windows 7 ISO, the resulting ISO/USB/DVD should be able to install Windows 7 on your computer.

You may also need to provide the below driver for Windows 7 to see the hard drive... Extract the files onto another usb flash drive without any folders;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/In​​tel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driv...

You may need to install the below driver to make the USB ports usable in Windows 7;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/US​​B-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Contr...

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
ohh many many thanks @lasvegaswireman...

this is exactly I need it..
thnaks again for the help..!!
HP Recommended
hello lasvegaswireman...
I just want to know that if I use an usb3.0 pen drive instead of 2.0;will it work for me.
and your previous method worked fine thanks!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.