Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi! I am glad you found the solution and cared enough to post your findings. Could you post the guide you used to disassemble the laptop?

Thanks

HP Recommended

no problem! its a pleasure to help out.

each specific model is different, i would assume, and the dissasembly instructions can be found on the support.hp.com page. you will have to go in and narrow down the search by either typing in your laptop model, or selecting the various options that come on the screen when you go to support.hp.com.

after that, the dissasembly manual should be in the user guides portion, and the title of the guide should read something similar to "pc maintenance and service guide"

the specific link to the hp envy m6 is http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04499120

please make sure that the service guide matches your specific model. i do not know how much each individual one differs.

HP Recommended

@Taint3dB1ack wrote:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THE TOUCHPAD ISSUE!!!

i know alot of you have been trying to find a fix for this and i can assure you since february, i have been following this thread and others just like it and i have finally found the fix!!! i have been going issue free for 1 full week. not even a single hickup and i hope that you all follow my advice and find that your issues can be resolved as well.

believe it or not, the issue isnt with the software or with synaptics or with the touchpad hardware itself.  The issue is actually with the way the laptop is assembled. i assume that when the laptop is built in the factory, the robots overtighten the trackpad onto the bracket and base of the laptop. all i had to do, and LITERALLY all i had to do, was loosen those screws!!! my trackpad was screwed in so tightly, in fact, that i had a little hump on the trackpad (on the bottom edge directly in the middle) where the screw and bracket meet on the underside. it made my trackpad have a little hump on it and when i took everything apart, i actually flattened it out. anyways, it takes a bit of time to disassemble everything. the trackpad is so far into the laptop and the instructions i found on this site says that you have to take out the systems board and everything around it. i just followed the guide and when i got to the trackpad, undid the 6(?) screws and then put them back in, but i didnt tighten them down hard at all. since then, i have not had a single issue!!! my trackpad works like it should and im 10000X more happy with it.

PLEASE MARK THIS AS A SOLUTION!!! EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS. try it!!! it really does work. i have been at this since february. NOTHING works. sending it in for service isnt the answer. and HP is obviously too much of an idiot to figure it out. and if they did, then they dont want to share this very simple fix. no software will help it. and updating the bios does NOTHING to fix it. THE ISSUE IS WITH HOW THE TRACKPAD WAS INSTALLED!!!

so untighten the screws that hold the trackpad in place and save yourself the headache. !!! 😄

for reference, my laptop is the HP envy m6 n113dx

@@Taint3dB1ack Im glad your touchpad has not been acting up, but i am sorry to say this IS NOT a solution.

I dissabled my laptop multiple times last year and was testing the touchpad outside of the laptop chasis itself. The touchpad continued to have issues whether screwed in tight, loose, or not screwed into the laptop itself at all.

Furthermore, 1 week is not a long enough time frame to satisfy calling that a solution. There have been countless posts on this thread that have had their touchpad working correctly for weeks & months only for the issue to return again.

If it really is solved for your particular laptop, i am happy for you. But this is not a confirmed solution at all for everyone.. because it completely conflicts with what I experienced with mine.

HP Recommended

I don't know if this is an old post or not.  But I got it today 8/3/15 by clicking on a google response to my question: why my new nice laptop with very good specs, I type and it keeps "select all"-ing  and so when I type the next letter, replaces the entire paragraph/page/forum message typing area.  As if you type a sentence.  Then you take the mouse and highlight that sentence.  Then, Start another sentence.  The first sentence, highlighted, will dissappear.  Whatever you type next will appear.  Sometimes I can right click in the blank space and click undo, depending on what application I'm typing into.

But about what you said: There is a place you can change this.  If u have windows 8 or newer, go to Start, type "Tablet PC settings" a list of results will drop down below your pointer.  Go down to "Tablet PC Settings" and click.  Then go to "Other".  Then, clik "go to pen and touch".  Then it will let you make a few choices, one being how much time can pass before the second click occurs in order for a double-click to have taken place.

I am not a HP professional.

HP Recommended

Taint,

one thing I've learned about this problem is that you can't claim victory after a week or even a month.

So many have claimed victory numerous times, only to shortly thereafter be disappointed. I hope that will not

be true in your case.

HP Recommended

been awhile since ive reported back on my fix by isolating the touchpad on my m6 which no major issues other my own ocassional brushes against the pad while typing my machine runs 16hours a day typically with multiple browsers running from startup to shutdown  my results may not work for others but if your out of warranty and capable of dissassembly all you have to loose is time and electrical tape which i detailed my modifications in a previous post  and on an unrelated note the keyboard has had an issue with a couple keys not responding  with less than near hammering on the keys  and due to the issues ive encountered this will likely be my last personal hp unless something major happens with the build quality  which im certain hp wont loose any sleep over

HP Recommended

listen. to all you naysayers, its fine. naysay and do your thing. you dont have to try this solution. you dont even have to believe that it works or that it fixed the problem. but here is what i can tell you.

since day 1 out of the box, i have not had a single time that ive used this laptop without it glitching 2 minutes in. i have updated the bios, reset the mousepad, disabled, changed settings, prayed, adopted a new diety, prayed to that diety, and anything under the sun to get just a DAY without issues. NOTHING HAS WORKED. i have tried literally EVERYTHING on this thread short of disecting the laptop, and some other not even in this thread.  what im saying is that it IS NOT a software issue. period. it is a PHYSICAL issue with the touchpad. you can open up your handy dandy programs and see that for yourself. it is registering what is not there, and that is due to the pressure from the screws being over tight. it is why even after you bring the settings for the laptop allll the way down, it doesnt completely go away.  the screws are overtight. so this coming from someone that has not had more than 2 minutes of use out of this trackpad, 2 weeks of continued use is one HELL of an improvement. especially when nothing, and i mean NOTHING else has worked except this. so stop doubting and put it to the test. nobody can force you to do it. but seriously... what do you have to lose EXCEPT screwing something up because u have no clue what you are doing. 

seriously guys. do this at your own risk. but it worked for me. maybe ill come back in a few months and confirm it is still working... but then again, there will always be 1 person hopping on here saying 'just because it worked for you doesnt mean it works for everyone.... " negative nancies all in these parts. enjoy the fix guys. im gonna go enjoy the laptop and all its trackpaddy goodness.

oh. but on a sidenote, if it DOES end up not working like it should, or goes back into its crappy use, (which i highly doubt given its history) i will be sure to pop back on and tell you all abort mission on the fix.

HP Recommended
For your records I tried on my m6 and it works. Thanks I'm finally relieved. I think some are just scared to open up their laptop but at the end I think it's the best solution.
HP Recommended

well im glad someone actually tried it and didnt immediately dismiss it.. now it other people would just follow suit..

btw... still going strong. i use this laptop heavily and do alot of eagle CAD design on this computer. as some of you certainly know, that can be VERY intensive... still not 1 single issue with use of my touchpad... says alot to me. 🙂

hopefully other people will follow suit. i really want people to discover this fix. the difference is night and day.

HP Recommended

Taint, I think you took my comments too personally.

I've just seen "the answer" about five times and then later

they reply that the problem is back. They also believed in their

heart of hearts that they had fixed the problem; only to be disappointed

after awhile.  I sincerly hope you're right and I see that another user has tried

the method and it seems to work. I'm just saying that I won't be shocked

if you or this other person reply back two or six weeks from now that the issue

has returned. Again, I really hope not.

J

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.