Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m7-j020dx LAPTOP
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hello , my HDD are broken (no access), I made a backup of the recovery drive in perfect conditions in a USB hard drive, but when I try of the recovery options from f11 BIOS none of them can start the process, the BIOS can access to the EFI recovery file from the USB hard it and try to start the process the BIOS recovery system just says "first choose what operative system" BIOS recovery does not offer where to choose or  click about any operative system option (its ridiculos) it should take it by default, so it does NOT START ANY PROCESS , er

I have a reliable 100% backup of the recovery drive, BIOS can see the EFI file but does not start the process, anybody knows any  trick to do the recovery system from external USB hard drive, EFI option or whatever that works ?     or any windows 8.1 - 64 bit H.P.  DVD to install from scratch thatI can download please, I beg you to  help, customer service just dont understand that hard drives are not eternal, this laptop did NOT come with a rescue DVD

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is how you can reinstall W8.1 for free by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'Standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

When you get to the screen that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. Click Next, and W8.1 should begin to install.

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.  Or you can use a free utility such as Rufus.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-touchsmart-m7-j000-notebook-pc-series/53549...

HP Recommended

thanks for answering Paul, I will start that today, by coincidence I did most of what you say before to start these posts, but this is the main point........

as I mentioned I made a 100% official backup of the Recovery drive in good condtions to a new external usb drive, that is what the windows recovery told me to do, but when I try to use the F11 recovery process the BIOS can see the recovery backup drive and the EFI files but when I point and choose the right EFI file it does NOT start the process no matter what options I try, in the best scenario it ends up the process telling "you have to choose on the firmware what operative system you will recover, the pc will restart". then it does not take me to anywhere I can choose operative system and there is nothing on the BIOS or recovery menu where to choose any option of operative system. I have spent 1 week trying and trying and I just can not start the recovery process, but the Bios can see the recovery drive and files end EFI of my usb recovery drive, any idea what Am I missing ?  thanks again

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately I would have to idea what to do about that issue, which is why I posted the alternative solution.

As long as you can boot from the media you create it should work.  I have given this method to dozens of forum members, the most recent one a few days ago...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/OS-Reinstall/m-p/7600524#M58874...

Your other option would be to order W8 recovery media from this vendor since HP no longer sells it directly.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23335-windows-8-64-bit-recovery-kit-730336-002-for-hp-envy-touchsm...

HP Recommended

thanks again,

1.- I tried to update the Bios from USB, its an .exe file, Typed from command promt but it says it can not (it does not start anything) I was hoping if updating the BIOS possibly the new version has something to allow the recovery from a USB recovery backup drive......   seens like the BIOS update "has" to be made only from a running windows....is  there any other option to update bios ?

2.- I could "start" the new installation from an external  USB hard disk, to try to install it on a new USB EXTERNAL hard disk partition, but it says windows can NOT be installed on USB drives, only internal, Jesus, I am sure some guys have installed on external drives and run windows from USB, why I can not do it , is there any trick to install and run to external hard disk ?  or only internal disk ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.