Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
HP Recommended Solution: Please visit the HP Techcenter To Resolve Diagnostic Errors that Appear During Startup

HELP!  My computer froze the other day so I went and played XBOX for the rest of the day (4 hours) came back and my laptop was still frozen so I pushed the power off button to restart it. Then I left it over night 'thinking' I would be able to play and record a video the next day. When I woke up my laptop was still restarting. It read "Failure updating windows" or something along those lines. I left it for another 6 hours and when I came back it was still on the same screen so I once again turened it off and left it for a hour. I then turned it back off when it came to an page that read:

SMART Hard Disk Error

The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure.    To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 (301)

F2   System Diagnostics.

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit  [edit]

so i pushed enter to continue with the start up and it just brought back the same page. Any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed /is failing and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
My hard drive pass but it keep shuting down
HP Recommended
My hard drive pass the test but it keep shutting down
HP Recommended
What can I do about it
HP Recommended

I HAVE BEEN WAKING UP IN THE MORNING TO SWITCH ON MY LAPTOP BUT NOT COMING ON. SOMETIMES IT TAKES A WHOLE HOURS OR A WHOLE DAY BEFORE COMING ON. WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM IF IT OPENS AND TELLS ME TO VIST www.hp.com/go/technocenter/startup.

THANKS.

HP Recommended

Hey there! @Nandasaba, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you run system diagnostics on your PC you are getting an error please visit www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Do you get this 301 error when you run a system diagnostics on your PC?

If you get this error when you run a system diagnostics on your PC, This indicates it could be an issue with the hard drive.

The hard drive on your PC is about to fail or it has already failed.

Please replace the hard drive on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about Hard Disk Error Displays before the Computer Starts.

Please contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
My HP ELITEBook Revolve 810 was working fine. I did make a change suscribing to HP software, gave my password, security questios etc. Later I turn in the computer an it open on a EINMAGIC data security page, that says HP Drive Encription. Pops up my username and asked me for a password which I gave. however it it keeps taking ne to a totally black screen with a cursor blinking. But the keyboard block. What should I do ?
HP Recommended
When rebooting the laptop bt CTRL alt delete I hit the Esc key and it takes me to a hp menu:
1. F1 System Information
2. F2. System Diagnostics
3. F3 Initiate Intel CIRA
4. F6. Enter Intel(R) ME Setup
5. F7. HP Sparekey
6. F9. Boot Device Options
7.F10 BIOS Setup
8.F11 HP Recovery
9 F12 Network Boot

Which one should bring me to windows back again ?
Thank you
Jorge Sanguino
HP Recommended

@Sangjore

F11 HP System Recovery

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.