Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP probook 650 G1

hi guys   i  am trying to  install  widows 7   from my original   installation dvd,  on  my  spare  hp  laptop,  it loads   but when it gets to the install  now  and i select  accept  terms  > language>  and chose  custom advanced   I then get this message >  the file or directory C:\$Secure  is corrupt  and unreadable . please run the Chkdsk   utility.     but how can I ?    also  some times   instead of loading   a black screen opens  and asks  for a password ?  for true cript  bootloader 7.1   and e

when  i  press esc     im being told an operating system  wasnt found ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sure you can try. In fact if I were you I might try to clone the old drive to new. You need a usb to SATA adapter you can find on amazon.com for about $15 and then cloning software. Put the new blank drive in the laptop, connect the old drive with the adapter externally, boot from a thumb drive containing the cloning software and clone (copy) the old disk to the new. I am pretty sure the clone will fail but you might get lucky. Post back if you need help. There is free cloning software like Macrium Reflect. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

check the DVD and see if it is scratched. Also we need the model of the HP spare laptop so we can understand the hardware environment you are operating in here. Maybe the hard drive has some bad sectors or you have a bad stick of memory. Either of those can cause weird errors when you try to install an OS. Nothing tests and stresses the hardware and shows up problems like an OS install. 

HP Recommended

ahh  oooppss  i think  I should be trying   widows  8  not 7      product  number  h5g75et#abu

HP Recommended

650 G1 is the model? Might have originally been sold with 7 or 8. 

HP Recommended

ok   i will try and get   windows  8    installation     

HP Recommended

If you have a Windows 7 installation disk for this model laptop it should work so if there is a problem with the laptop hardware you might also have issues trying to install Windows 8. 

HP Recommended

I have just put the original  hardrive   that had damaged sectors hence  the need for  new  hardrive  and it opened  succssesfully  with windows  8  on it .  ps I will try  the  drive in a caddy    on my current  laptop   to  diognise it 

HP Recommended

all seems to be well   newest hard  drive.PNGnewest hard drive 2.PNG

HP Recommended

Whatever the problem is it is not the hard drive. 

HP Recommended

that s  my   thoughts too   so what is  the correct proceedure   for    installing   windows    say from a   usb   drive,   I  will  have another  try tommorrow    

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.