Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am still working on the recovery from this problem which AxshunJaxun was able to help me correctly diagnose.

I have since received Recovery Media from HP and purchased a new HDD which should be an improvement over the factory part. And, I have spent part of yesterday and most of today working on the recovery process with no success (multiple failed attempts).

I keep getting a "recovery failed" message from the Recovery Manager application with the specific detail message of:

[ 2:37:49.82] ChkErrBB.CMD : Detect some error during PININST_BBV.
[ 2:37:49.82] ChkErrBB.CMD : Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
[ 2:37:49.82] ChkErrBB.CMD : or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log

(The two .LOG files do not exist on the C: partition which is there.)

I have followed the process (had to initially hit ESC instead of F2) laid out by anthony82

According to this post this is likely a problem with the Recovery Media from HP. Has anyone else seen this type of problem and determined that to be the case as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DarkSetz wrote:

I am still working on the recovery from this problem which AxshunJaxun was able to help me correctly diagnose.

I have since received Recovery Media from HP and purchased a new HDD which should be an improvement over the factory part. And, I have spent part of yesterday and most of today working on the recovery process with no success (multiple failed attempts).

I keep getting a "recovery failed" message from the Recovery Manager application with the specific detail message of:

I have followed the process (had to initially hit ESC instead of F2) laid out by anthony82 and encountered no errors on the memory and HDD tests.

According to this post this is likely a problem with the Recovery Media from HP. Has anyone else seen this type of problem and determined that to be the case as well?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/dv4-ChkErrBB-CMD-Detect-some-error-during-PININST-BBV...

"Here is how you fix it. When you boot up your computer hit F10 that will take you to the BIOS manager. then hit F9 to set BIOS to factory default save and exit then do recovery.  Worked for me and it only took me 3 weeks to figure it out lol."

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62
HP Recommended

@DarkSetz wrote:

I have followed the process (had to initially hit ESC instead of F2) laid out by anthony82 and encountered no errors on the memory and HDD tests.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/dv4-ChkErrBB-CMD-Detect-some-error-during-PININST-BBV...

"Here is how you fix it. When you boot up your computer hit F10 that will take you to the BIOS manager. then hit F9 to set BIOS to factory default save and exit then do recovery.  Worked for me and it only took me 3 weeks to figure it out lol."

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended
Huh. I just tried the recovery again and reset the BIOS to factory defaults first, and it successfully completed!

Thanks for your help. 🙂
HP Recommended

@DarkSetz wrote:
Huh. I just tried the recovery again and reset the BIOS to factory defaults first, and it successfully completed!

Thanks for your help. 🙂

You are welcome!!

HP Recommended

I tried everything I read online, to no avail. I then unhooked the main battery and the CMOS battery and let the thing sit overnight. I powered it up and set date/time and set usb3.0 to auto in bios. I tried the restore one more time and it worked!

This was way too many hoops to jump thru for a drive that died 4 days outside of warranty. I'm buying ASUS next time. 

HP Recommended
I am having the exact same issue. I must have tried to recover my Laptop over a hundred times in the last 48 hours. I sure hope this works. Will post back with results.
HP Recommended

Did it work? If so can you describe your actions?

Thanks in Advance!

@vegem16 wrote:
I am having the exact same issue. I must have tried to recover my Laptop over a hundred times in the last 48 hours. I sure hope this works. Will post back with results.

HP Recommended

@RFM1 

When you power up your computer hit F10 to enter  BIOS. Then hit F9 to set BIOS to factory Default settings- Save and Exit, then do Recovery.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I´ve tryed this method and had no positive result.

What I did to solve my problem: 

-Bios Configuration - Legacy boot ON
-Clean install of Win8
-Donwloaded all hp software from website

Now my OS running smooth and faster than before, and my recovery media that HP provided me by mail I just put to the garbage can. 

HP asked me to send my notebook but it would be a month wait!

HP Recommended

I've had an identical problem trying to restore my daughter's HP Envy laptop which failed with a disk problem a couple of days outside the guarantee.

Resetting the BIOS to factor settings didn't work for me, at least initially, it didn't.

Here's what I did to get the restore to work. I've put down all the steps though I suspect its only steps 2 and 5 that are the important ones. Or to put it another way, choose the 'Reset your PC option' in step 3 instead of 'Refresh'

1) Reset Bios to factor settings

2) carry out 'Minimised Image Recovery' from within Recovery Manager (ie standard restore) allow it complete with the "Detect some error during PININST_BBV." message.

3) click on 'Try Again and step through to Troubleshoot but this time choose the 'Refresh your PC' option. The reset looked to have sort of worked and I could run Windows now but I couldn't log into the Adminstrator account as it was disabled.

4) Power off and restart the PC, pressing F11 to get to the Choose keyboard Layout screen and going on to choose Troubleshoot again.

5) Select the 'Reset your PC' Option and allow it to complete. This takes me back through the initial set up windows from when we first got the PC. After working though the setup windows screen we were back up and running again.

I'm still not sure of the real cause. I was able to run a chkdsk \F on the HDD in a separate computer. It found a few issues which it repaired but prior to the chkdsk I was able to read the disk ok and back up personal data from it. It didn't look in a bad state.

The system diagnostics in the HP Envy still reports a Failure ID when I test it there so still trying to figure out if I'm completely out of the woods yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.