Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello harrietfpops.  I understand you're getting the HP_Tools is running out of space error.

One of these two solutions will resolve the issue for you.

1. Go to Control Panel.
  2. Navigate to the System subsection and you'll see "System Protection" on the left side. Select this.
  3. When the list populates select the E: partition and click configure.
  4. When this window opens you should select "turn off system protection."
  5. Delete the Name-HP folder from the E: partition. 
  6. Reboot the notebook.

1. Click Start, type "backup and restore," and press Enter. This brings up Windows Backup which is a little different than system protection.
  2. In the middle of the Window you should see that the backup is on a schedule. Disable this.
  3. Save your changes.
  4. Delete the backup folder on the E:
  5. Reboot notebook and verify that this resolves the issue.

If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Have a great day.  🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi!I need help!!!!!!!!!!

I keep receiving messages saying that I'm running out of space on HP Tools drive E; I 've been trying to solve this issue but no luck!the Recycle Bin is empty and on the Drive there is just a doc from Hewlett-Packard(I don't know what's that)!

I should mention that I have HP Pavilion g7!

What should I do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Click the Start Menu, open Computer and open HP_TOOLS - post back with the names of the files listed here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

when i arrive to protection settings the only options are the c and d drive. my e drive though is the one running low

HP Recommended

Aloha - Much Mahalo for the information!!  What if my list does not show a drive E?:smileysurprised:

HP Recommended

Hi Jitterbug08

Are you looking for your HP tools drive? If your list does not show an E: drive it's possible that you just do not have one and there is nothing to worry about. Did you have an E drive before that is no longer there? I would like to help but will need a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

Look forward to helping!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I went to drives to eliminate the e-drive and it was not listed.  I was told by HP that they hide this drive so it cannot be altered.  How am I supposed to eliminate that annoying message "HP_tools(e) running out of space.  (I have nothing in my recycle bin.)

HP Recommended

Hi ineedadvice,

I have found some great steps you can follow when you experience the Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on HP_Tools.

The purpose of the HP_Tools drive is to store all the files needed for system diagnostics. The HP_Tools drive is actually a partition on the main hard drive in your computer - not an actual, physical drive. It has much less available space than Drive (CSmiley Happy. If you use the HP_Tools drive to store files, or if a backup or restore program uses the HP_Tools drive to store files, the drive quickly becomes full and can cause serious problems when you need to use system diagnostics.
Do not store files on the HP_Tools drive. The only files on the HP_Tools drive should be related to system diagnostics. The HP_Tools drive should contain mostly free space.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

when i get to the protection settings window, only the C & D drives are listed.  no E drive

HP Recommended
I only show drive c which is on and drive d which is off
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.