Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

i bought my laptop in feb 2012 so it is out of warranty 😞 , its the hp G6 - 1220sa running windows 7 64 bit

A couple of days ago it would not start up so started going through the diagnostis in bios to find it failed the hdd test. mypoor  hdd had failed 😞

i have bought a new hdd to replace it and installed new hdd, when trying to re-install windows 7 64bit it will not recognise the disc, all i get on screen is " no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key"

how do i get round this and fix the problem?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Managed to get it working, there was summat stuck in the dvd drive. my OH had a fiddle with it and off it went

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

It may be that the notebook is trying to boot from the empty hard drive.

With the W7 installation DVD in the DVD drive, turn on the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu and then select the DVD drive from the list of bootable devices.

Press the Enter key and watch the screen for further instructions.

If the ESC key does nothing, then tap the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen instead.

ESC or F9 depends on how old the PC is.

I think your notebook is new enough that it uses the ESC key to access those menus.

HP Recommended

already tried setting boot priority to the cd/dvd drive and nothing is happening, just get the same message on screen no bootable device blah blah

HP Recommended

Did you try what I suggested?

Sometimes changing the boot order is meaningless when the bios has that new-fangled boot manager.

HP Recommended

still the same thing 😞

HP Recommended

If you have the english, french or spanish version of W7 home premium, make your own ISO file from the link below and use the W7 ISO to usb flash drive tool and see if the notebook will boot from the flash drive.

Use the SP1 media refresh files which are newer.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languag...

ISO to usb tool...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

If that doesn't work, then the problem is probably hardware related.

HP Recommended

will give that a try and get back to you

HP Recommended

can't try that yet as my kids have knackered my usb drive!! grrrrrrrrrrr

HP Recommended

Kids...gotta love 'em!  :generic:

You'll need a 4 GB or larger usb flash drive.

HP Recommended
Managed to get it working, there was summat stuck in the dvd drive. my OH had a fiddle with it and off it went
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.