Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hello, I recently factory reset my hp envy but before doing so I made sure I backed up my files on to a SD card, after the reset I am unable to recover my files does anyone know how I can do this my laptop was running windows 10 but after the reset reverted to windows 8.1. I am a University student and slightly panicked help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You'll need to ensure that all windows updates are complete then you can download the windows 10 installation files from the link below, you'll need to burn these files to disc to perform the upgrade. Don't worry about it no longer being free, any machine that has already been upgraded to 10 during the free period can be reinstalled for free again

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
We will need to know which method you used to backup your files in order to provide advice on this one
HP Recommended
Hello thanks for the reply, I performed the backup through windows, in the back and restore category in the control panel I just selected to back up onto the SD as I didn't have anything else with large memory
HP Recommended
In that case you should be able to use the backup and restore options in windows 8.1 to restore the backup

If you insert the sd card then go to the start menu and click on the magnifying glass in the top right then type in backup you should find the section you need, from there it should be just a case of following the on screen instructions
HP Recommended
I have tried this method there is no option to recover files from the SD card backup just to back up current files on sd card which is why I was unsure
HP Recommended
Can you see any files visible on the sd card?
HP Recommended
Yes there are files on the SD card but it displays them as eg. Backup file 1 etc also they are in zip format some are also in HPDATA format
HP Recommended
Would take quite a bit of digging to retrieve them manually then, best option I can think of right now would be to upgrade the computer back to windows 10 then use the backup and restore options from there, they will be slightly different as they removed certain backup options in 8 in favour of file history but restored them in one of the updates for 10
HP Recommended
Thanks a lot appreciate it i can't remember how to upgraded to Windows 10 what's the best way to do this?
HP Recommended
You'll need to ensure that all windows updates are complete then you can download the windows 10 installation files from the link below, you'll need to burn these files to disc to perform the upgrade. Don't worry about it no longer being free, any machine that has already been upgraded to 10 during the free period can be reinstalled for free again

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.