Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Gaming 15, Ryzen 5 3550H

hello, this is frustating: on win10 as well as Linux I experience MUCH slower performance when booting on battery. I am talking 160-170 % slower in my tests. According to the HP support assistance / software and drivers there is one BIOS update still bold and black (version F.05) even though it also says "installed on 2/9/2020". All others are greyed out... However: clicking that install/download icon only gives me "No longer applicable".

What is this? What am I doing wrong?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@SFGNDGN Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, here's what you need to know:

Gaming while plugged into the charger is recommended by HP and wont damage the battery.

But always gaming on battery only, will only bring the battery to its end of life faster because of the recycles you are putting on it.

The system throttles the power that the cpu uses while gaming on battery only, to conserve power. This is normal.

You can change the system settings to use maximum performance for the graphics card which will help a little, but still wont be as optimal as playing while plugged in.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I think there is a misunderstanding which I maybe can clear up: I am well aware that systems slow down as a default in order to save power when on battery. I also know about limited charging cycles of batteries. I also know that you can change power plans to choose how much you want to prefer "performance" over "power savings" - and vice versa. I have been working with Windows for decades. I do know these things.

I forgot to mention that I setup Windows to go "full speed". My setup with Windows power plans should have given the same speed as when plugged in. I set up my own profile with maximum performance. Furthermore the laptop also slowed down heavily on my second operation system Linux. Again: I am talking 160-170% slower when there should be no difference. On both OSes that run independent of each other. This is screaming hardware issue to me.

I brought the laptop back to the store already and hope that in about 2 weeks I either get mine back fixed or a new one. So at the moment I can't give more details but I'll keep you updated.

HP Recommended

@SFGNDGN Alright, thanks for the update,

Please do, keep us posted,

And good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not getting any less frustrating... :((( I was called to pick up my laptop a few days ago. Asking what was wrong they sent me: A photo of a successful BIOS test they ran! They fixed nothing. I was baffled... Of course I tested it in the shop again and to no surprise: nothing was fixed, so I didn't take it. They literally just ran some BIOS tests and gave it back while completely ignoring the problem. Why did they think I brought the laptop in in the first place? Speechless...

They now called me again to pick it up. I asked what changed. They said nothing changed but they would send a technician to my home. Now I'm asking myself: Why TF would they think that some technician visiting my home would have better chances of fixing it than the HP support center themselves with the device in their hands??? This is beyond me! I declined the idea and said I will take it when it's fixed.

Dear Riddle_Decypher, is this normal for HP?? What can I do to have this problem solved? I don't know what to do anymore. I paid good money for a normal working device. Unfortunately the device is not working as intended (or is this normal??) and the support here seems unwilling or incapable (or both) to fix it. I do need help here. What else can I do?

HP Recommended

@SFGNDGN

I understand your concerns. 

Do you have any case number?

Please let us know where are you located.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thank you! I am in Thailand, Bangkok. I am unfortunately not aware of any case number but I'll try to find out over the weekend and I'll let you know here. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@SFGNDGN

Thank you for the information.

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information.

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

Hello, first of all, thank you for getting me in touch with a more qualified person over at my local support here in Bangkok. The guy was very helpful and I think actually cared about the problem I had.

I now have the Laptop back but unfortunately this behavior is correct and intended. HP laptops apparently throttle down heavily when on battery. With a proper benchmark program (I chose "Heaven" because it's cross platform) I measured approx. 115-125 % higher values on A/C when compared to battery (or 79-86 % performance on battery when compared to A/C). I honestly would not have bought this laptop if had known this. If this is the same in Linux I haven't tested yet, but I already know that the hardware is causing problems there when on battery -- because of this throttling (I assume). In the end I am quite disappointed with this product, but stuck with it now. I am not sure if I'll buy HP again in the near future.

Either way, thanks again

HP Recommended

@SFGNDGN I understand what you mean, and to confirm, did you explain the same to the agent that contacted you on my request, 

Also, do perform a hardware test on the device to identify if there are any malfunctions causing this issue: click here for steps.

And if it indeed is being caused due to a hardware issue as such, we should be able to repair/replace the parts on the device to fix the issue, once and for all.

Keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.