Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq 420 v: F.20
Linux

Hello!

When I switch on my Compaq 420 the screen remains blank and then restarts after a few seconds to be presented with this error message : A system bios recovery has occurred Error 500.

There is no provision to install Support assistant for linuxmint as the .exe files would not go AND I WANT TO INSTALL IT for the better. Kindly guide me how to do it in linux?

Pl. help me with some way so I do not get this message.Also i am not sure whether to update/reinstallBIOS and if it that critical as i am able to use my notebook after booting up.

utkarsh10

DETAILS:

System:    Host: uc-Compaq-420 Kernel: 4.4.0-83-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: Compaq 420 v: F.20

Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1526 v: KBC Version 71.0E
            Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    Product Name: Compaq 420
    Version: F.20
    UUID: 40469898-DFD9-E011-BF86-8580BF0C50B5
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: WT741PA#ACJ
    Family: 103C_5336AN

Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68PVI Ver. F.20 date: 12/12/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T6570 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8378
           clock speeds: max: 2101 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.64hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-83-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 84:00.0
           IF: ens5 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (5.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BEKT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 26G used: 15G (61%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 16.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 677.3/1928.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP doesn't support using Linux on HP notebooks, so You can't install HP support Assistance on Linux OS. (Actually, no installers are available for linux).

You can try wine to install HP support assistant. (Not recommended)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to recover the bios manually.

1. Shut down your notebook.
  2. Press and hold Windows button + B [While notebook is powered off]
  3. Press and hold power button for 3 seconds [Do not release Windows button +B]
  4. After 3 seconds release the power button but keep pressing windows button + B.
  5. Keep pressing windows button + B until Bios recovery start automatically. [This may take up to 45 seconds and notebook will flash different LED lights and beep several times during this period]
  6. Follow on-screen instructions.
  7. Reboot once it completes.

If Bios recovery is not starting automatically then your notebook may not support auto bios recovery, you need to recover the bios manually.

Download bios update for your notebook from HP driver download page on another PC and create BIOS recovery USB using the setup.

Plug in this USB to defective notebook and repeat the procedure.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I tried it out but with no sucess.

Would give it a shot with the usb made from a windows system.

However I had a question. As after showing the error 500 message, the grub screen appears, giving me the regular options of multiboot{with the two distros installed). Things run fine henceforth.

I'm afraid if reinstalling bios should do things with data (back-up is done) or the installed OS's.

Can u guide me on it?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Bios memory has its own memory chip so there is no danger of losing your personal data and operating system. But if you fail to recover the bios using USB or any other way it will damage the bios memory and it will brick your notebook.

HP Recommended

Thx. would try and let know accordingly.

HP Recommended

thanks @ pritam2015

the problem seems solved for now. I would try and sanitize my notebook and re-install mint cleanly as it is going a bit slow.
thanks again guys.

btw can you help me out if i want to install 'HP support assistant' if i have linux installed on my notebook?

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP doesn't support using Linux on HP notebooks, so You can't install HP support Assistance on Linux OS. (Actually, no installers are available for linux).

You can try wine to install HP support assistant. (Not recommended)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.