Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp probook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a probook 4530s with windows 7 64 bit. I wrote for help here about a month ago and at the time it resolved the problem.

My mouse cursor is constantly showing that it's busy. Most of the time, it shows that ring, like when it's involved in something, or i'm waiting for something to happen. But is doing that ALL THE TIME.

This is a recent phenomenon. It started last month and with help here, we figured out it was because the settings on my printer had been set up to do eprint. I do NOT do eprint. I got directions on how to stop that and it worked great. The problem resolved.

But NOW it is doing that again.

I have the software hp support assistant and I think it is due to that. I do not want it constantly doing anything. I looked through it, and the information is always helpful -- all the basics about my notebook and printer. But it is CONSTANTLY CHECKING FOR UPDATES.

I just saw it go through checking for updates 10-19-19 and then it said NO UPDATES then it said next check oct. 20.

But I think it is doing it constantly, I see it going through the thing it just went through.

HOW DO I STOP IT? I DON'T WANT IT TO DO THAT AT ALL. I DON'T WANT IT CONNECTING it is not helpful, it is just doing something I rather it not do.

My warranty is expired. I just changed it to NEVER check for updates you have to hunt for that. I don't know if that will helkp but I would be grateful for any suggestions of what to do.

The last two times my mouse is constantly being harassed it is due to this software. Well that didn't work, my mouse shows that same busy ring.

This is a huge problem, as it slows my notebook, I am having to fight with what i want my mouse to do it seems. Please help.

After I stopped the communication between the eprint it stopped the problem for a while until THIS issue.

thanks again,

Gina

Now it's back, and I think I know what is causing it but don't know how to fix it.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mrg553 

HPSA (HP Support Assistant), if set to do so, will on schedule (as selected in Settings), check for Updates.  The settings can be adjusted to the point of removing most of the outward notifications and "checks".

You have likely had the computer long enough by now to be able to read the trouble signs in the Resource Monitor.  The HPSA software should not be causing constant performance disruption - if it is doing so, the software is not operating within its intended scope of operation.

Reference:

Right-Click Task Bar > Task Manager > tab Performance > Resource Monitor

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remove the offending software - Optional

Know that HPSA is not mandatory software.  You can safely remove the HP Support Assistant and its companion software, HP Support Solutions.

“Regular” Uninstall - Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

If there are problems with the software or the uninstallation process

“Complete Cleanup” Uninstall of HPSA and companion software

If you are having problems installing your HP Updates using the HP Support Assistant, use "complete cleanup” steps to remove and then reinstall the HP Support Assistant.

NOTE:  Before you start here, it is best that your Windows Updates are already current and installed.

Essentially, the "Complete Cleanup" simply means that you uninstall HPSA > Restart > Uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework > Restart > Download and install a fresh copy of the HPSA software > Restart

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

Important:  When / If asked whether you want to save any presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.  Framework will (re)install if / when the HPSA is installed.

NOTE:  If the software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

1. Restart the computer and log in

1. Uninstall HP Support Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features

NOTE:  HP Support Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.  For this reason, HPSA must be uninstalled before the Solutions Framework can be removed.

1. Restart the computer and log in.

Final Check – Software is Removed

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click to uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Business Machines - Options to Manage Updates

If you do wish to make use of an Update software so you can occasionally check your system for updates, at this writing, the following are available for Business class machines:

• SDM may still work for older machines manufactured after July 2019
  • HPIA for business class computers as listed in the HPIA Supported Platforms document 

Older machines, those manufactured before July 2019 - Software Download Manager (SDM)

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

NOTICE:  The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

White Paper on the subject (document may or may not load - access appears to be temperamental).  If the file does not open, try copy/paste of the address into your browser address bar (URL).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SDM_EOL.pdf

Partial Excerpt of the "End of Life" PDF file content:

Confidentiality
This document can be shared internally & externally.

Introduction
HP is retiring HP SoftPaq Download Manager (HP SDM) on July 31st, 2019, it will be replaced by HP Image Assistant.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

break...

Except continues:

Will I be able to continue to use SDM?
Yes, SDM, will continue to work and have access to updates (SoftPaqs) for older
products launched before July 31st, 2019. SoftPaq Download Manager will not be tested
with new product launched after July 31st, 2019. HP recommends using HP Image
Assistant to access updates to new products.

So, what to do?

If you can do so, it is time to migrate to the  HP Image Assistant

From the Image Assistant Web page:

HP Support Assistant - Information

For those reading:

Settings in HP Support Assistant can be changed to accomodate the user's needs, including a day of the week to "check for updates".

In general, adjusting the setting to "Never" might cause you to miss something that does come along, though in the case of an older computer, much of what "comes along" can be few and far between.

Example > HP Support Assistant > Settings

HPSA_Settings_V8.X_1AHPSA_Settings_V8.X_1A

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.