Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I did those "fixes" again, to no avail.  As I've said, if 2 HP techs and 2 Microsoft techs can't get my machine

to sleep, I'm OVER it.  I just shut the **bleep** thing down and that's IT.  That' s MY version of "Sleep"..........

HP Recommended

After spending 3 days trying to find a fix for sleep crashes on my Prodesk 600 G1 desktop computer.  All this Intel MEI driver stuff is a bunch of baloney and will lead you down the wrong path and waste a lot of your time.

The problem is that Windows 10 enables hibernation by default!  You do NOT need or want hibernation on a desktop.  If you've got a desktop all the default drivers from Windows 10 work just fine.  All you need to do is disable hibernation.  Then sleep will function and recover correctly.

Enter "Command" in cortana search box, right click and run as administrator.

At the command prompt just enter, "powercfg /h off"

That's it....powercfg /h off turns off hibernation and sleep will wake and work as designed with the MEI drivers from HP's driver support or the default (latest) drivers installed by Win 10.  You do NOT need to hide drivers from Windows Update.  My Prodesk 600 G1 small form factor now works great and no more crashes returning from sleep.  This should be updated in the customer support libraries including the HP Customer Support document titled, "HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10,8).  Way too many people are having this problem and it is very simple to solve for desktops.

HP Recommended

@chicago_matt wrote:

After spending 3 days trying to find a fix for sleep crashes on my Prodesk 600 G1 desktop computer.  All this Intel MEI driver stuff is a bunch of baloney and will lead you down the wrong path and waste a lot of your time.

The issue with the Intel MEI driver is not "baloney"; it simply isn't relevant to your computer model.  Version 11 of the MEI driver has been shown to prevent several HP laptop models from resuming from sleep.  That particular issue (which can be resolved by following these steps) has nothing to do with hibernation and will still occur after disabling hibernation.

What you're describing is a completely different issue affecting your desktop model and pertaining to hibernation, not to sleep.  Thank you for sharing your solution, but it may be better suited for another thread whose topic references it.

HP Recommended

Did you read my post?  My problem was everytime the pc entered sleep mode it would never recover.  All I needed to do turn off hibernation and presto, SLEEP now works.  You do what you want, but for all the desktop owners out there having a problem with SLEEP not recovering I strongly suggest you try my fix before wasting your time changing drivers, services settings, and windows update show hide (wushowhide).

HP Recommended

@chicago_matt wrote:

Did you read my post?  My problem was everytime the pc entered sleep mode it would never recover.  All I needed to do turn off hibernation and presto, SLEEP now works.  You do what you want, but for all the desktop owners out there having a problem with SLEEP not recovering I strongly suggest you try my fix before wasting your time changing drivers, services settings, and windows update show hide (wushowhide).

Thank you for explaining your issue and posting a solution that worked for you.  It might be more helpful in the future to do so without bashing other solutions for related issues on different HP models.

If your computer was not recovering and turning off hibernation solved the issue, it is likely going into hibernation, not sleep, that was actually causing the issue.  Hibernation was presumably set to occur automatically subsequent to sleep, and it was when hibernation occurred that your issue surfaced.

The Intel MEI driver issue pertains to sleep mode on several HP laptop models (Pavilion and Envy being the ones reported by a majority of users).  It's always a good idea to try more simple fixes like turning off hibernation before going through the steps to downgrade a driver, but doing so will not resolve that particular issue.

Glad to hear it resolved yours though!

HP Recommended

No bashing intended.  Just a lot of frustration considering there was no solution on the HP forums, nothing on the support issues page for my model,  and no solution found from an extended chat session & remote desktop control with an HP tech support person to solve this issue on a desktop with 1 1/2 years remaining on a 3/3/3 HP warranty.  HP's support for this problem should first differentiate between desktops and notebooks experiencing a problem with sleep crash.  Obviously the tech rep was not aware of the conflict with hibernation or that Win10 enabled hibernation by default.  BTW hibernation was never shown as a shutdown option.   I find it difficult to believe I'm the first person to encounter this issue on a HP desktop.  I also find it interesting that the MEI drivers (including MEI version 11.0.0.1155) work without any issues on desktops, but not on notebooks?  Can you explain that?  Leads me to question if perhaps Windows 10 implementation of hibernation is the real source of conflict with sleep on notebooks as well?  Hopefully someday soon Microsoft or Intel will fix it so we can all worry about something else :generic:

HP Recommended

@chicago_matt wrote:

No bashing intended.  Just a lot of frustration considering there was no solution on the HP forums, nothing on the support issues page for my model,  and no solution found from an extended chat session & remote desktop control with an HP tech support person to solve this issue on a desktop with 1 1/2 years remaining on a 3/3/3 HP warranty.  HP's support for this problem should first differentiate between desktops and notebooks experiencing a problem with sleep crash.  Obviously the tech rep was not aware of the conflict with hibernation or that Win10 enabled hibernation by default.  BTW hibernation was never shown as a shutdown option.   I find it difficult to believe I'm the first person to encounter this issue on a HP desktop.  I also find it interesting that the MEI drivers (including MEI version 11.0.0.1155) work without any issues on desktops, but not on notebooks?  Can you explain that?  Leads me to question if perhaps Windows 10 implementation of hibernation is the real source of conflict with sleep on notebooks as well?  Hopefully someday soon Microsoft or Intel will fix it so we can all worry about something else :generic:

I totally understand your frustration.  I don't work or speak for HP, and I was similarly frustrated with how difficult it was to get accurate, consistent answers from HP Support in my own experience.  I upgraded to Windows 10 shortly after it was released and had three different issues -- failure to resume from sleep, touchpad settings not saving across sessions, and Wifi connectivity problems -- that were clearly caused by the upgrade and impacting thousands of users.  It took weeks (or, in some cases, months) for HP to even acknowledge the issues, let alone provide a fix (which, in the case of the resume from sleep issue, basically involved HP copying and pasting the solution I posted with the help of several others on this forum -- something I understand they're allowed to do since they "own' all content posted here).  Even then, many users reported contacting HP Support and ending up with a representative who wasn't familiar with the same solutions and suggested other "fixes" that did not work.

For what it's worth, Windows hides the hibernation option by default now, but even if it's not listed as a shut down option, it still may be set to kick in automatically after a pre-set time.  It's several steps (Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable > Sleep > Hibernate After) to change or disable that without going to a Command Prompt, and you must be an admin to do so.

As for the laptop vs. desktop question, I can only assume the Intel MEI driver causes some sort of conflict with the hardware or software HP includes in many of their laptops but not in their desktops... but that's just speculation on my part based on the fact that those who've followed those steps and had them solve their issue have all been laptop users.  Simply disabling hibernation did not solve the sleep issue for me or for the others who helped develop that specific solution.

But I'm certain you're not the first person to encounter the issue you described on a desktop model, and I'm sure your fix will help others with similar models.  It might be helpful to also post it as a solution in a separate thread with your computer model name in it so other owners of your model who are experiencing the same issue can more easily find it.

Thanks again for posting!  🙂

HP Recommended

This video helped me in fixing the issue. Just follow this steps and no more not sleeping/shutdown issue in windows 10 :generic: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXgFIM13O4

After upgrading to the latest Windows 10, some users are experiencing weird problems like lights keep on after power off and don't completely shut down, the laptop does not go to sleep, the laptop doesn't hibernate. After running some diagnostics and experiment, we found out that actually, it is ...
HP Recommended

Mine does the same thing all the time and has done it seems like forever.  Very annoying.  I have to do a hard-reboot just to get it to wake-up.  I think it's an HP issue because I had the issue before Windows 10 was ever installed.

HP Recommended

I have done this many times in the past and it has not helped.  I just did it again and it said the best drivers are already installed.  Thanks for trying, but I'll be surprised if it actually starts waiting up when I open it---like it should.  /Kimberly

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.