Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion cb013na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP Pavilion cb013na notebook brand new from the HP Store just last month and I was informed that this model was released in June 2017 so I assume it was built with Windows 10.

However I saw that I have a windows.old folder taking up 17GB on a 256GB SSD as well as a Windows10Upgrade file

If this was a brand new laptop with Windows 10 installed, why does it have these folders which are usually there after an upgrade?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP probably used a disk image with those files on it that were there from an upgrade from an older version of W10.

You can delete the windows.old folder by running the disk cleanup utility.

Click on the cleanup system files button when it comes to the disk cleanup window, and check the boxes to delete the files.

I've heard of similar circumstances where brand new PC's with W10, had windows.old images.

I wouldn't be concerned.  Just delete the file or wait 30 days and it will disappear on its own.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP probably used a disk image with those files on it that were there from an upgrade from an older version of W10.

You can delete the windows.old folder by running the disk cleanup utility.

Click on the cleanup system files button when it comes to the disk cleanup window, and check the boxes to delete the files.

I've heard of similar circumstances where brand new PC's with W10, had windows.old images.

I wouldn't be concerned.  Just delete the file or wait 30 days and it will disappear on its own.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.