Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15-cp0001ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I'm new here, so please forgive me when I create a new thread, could not find anything close to my problem...

I own a HP ENVY x360 15-cp0001ng, bought and using it in germany. All worked out fine, setting up system after oobe, upgrading from home to pro, setting up system encryption, etc...

But then, 2 days after completion, Windows Update installed a firmware update (F.34) successfully, leading to a ugly issue.

When I shutdown via Windows, the notebook gets to a point where it actually turn off, but it does so after waiting exactly 90 seconds. This happens on reboot, standby and hibernation as well. I tried a lot of things, including in deactivating hybrid shutdown, hiberfil.sys reset and deactivation, pagefile cleanup, updating everything like hell, downgrading firmware down to F.33 & F.32 (F.21 was the next attempt but failed because it shall be to old for my system).

I have 3 notebooks of the same kind, all 3 started with the same issue. Even one of them was running fine, after firmware update it got the same issue, after running System Recovery to its factory defaults there was no change at all.

Something keeps the system spinning for 90 secs and I really couldn't figure out what exactly can solve the issue neither why that happens...

Does anyone know what it could be? Currently, I am backing up my notebook to try some more options provided by our german support team, like system recovery and so on...

Best Regards, GK

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @doob_gk

Try the steps recommended below.

Update the windows to the latest version and check if it helps.

Enable fast startup on the PC.

Press Windows key + I key to open the Settings window 
Then click System
Click Power & sleep > Additional power settings
Click Choose what the power button does
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
Uncheck Turn off fast startup and click "Save changes"

Run the Power troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

1.    Open Control Panel by right click on Start Button.

2.    In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

3.    Click on the view all option on the left panel.

4.    Run the Power troubleshooter.

Resetting your power plan can be helpful in fixing that current issue.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.
From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,
Click and open the ‘Power options’.
Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.
Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.
In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.
Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Also, try updating the BIOS and other drivers on the PC to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on the PC and check if the hardware components on the PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi A4Apollo!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Indeed, I ran everything you mentioned before, with no success. Yesterday I ran the system recovery built into windows (by pressing F11 while booting) to ensure everything get's to it's default values, and still the same issue.

Afterwards I found out that the support website for that model is now working again, featuring a new bios firmware F.35, flashed it, and guess what, again no success...

Now, after all that steps, I researched similar problems to find any possible solution. Somewhere here in this forum I heard about holding "WIN + B" while booting fires up a bios recovery. Is it then recovering back to the first release or to the last firmware before update? That would be a great option to try out, as I strongly think that this issue goes back to firmware.

HP Hardware Diagnostics displays all OK, no faults at all... Here's a small list about everything I tried out. Please keep in mind that after every step, I shutdown the system as normal. Fail means that, before the device cuts off its power, it stays 90 seconds on a black screen and does nothing (but switching on/off keyboard backlight works while on black screen):

- UEFI Booting Windows 10 Home from internal SSD: Fail

- UEFI Booting Windows 10 after Pro Upgrade from internal SSD: Fail

- UEFI Booting Ubuntu 18.10 from internal SSD: Fail

- UEFI Booting Ubuntu 18.10 from external SSD: Fail

- CSM Booting Ubuntu 18.10 from external SSD: Success on first boot, Fail on all other

- Full Recovery of Windows 10 and going through OOBE as far as the PC finally is usable: Fail

- Different Power Plans and Fast shutdown option states: Fail

- Encrypted and Nonencrypted System Drive: Fail

After that tests I suggest something in the firmware waits for anything to happen within that 90 seconds, but after that timeout, it turns off like normal. This kind of black screen usually lasts 1-2 seconds while rebooting on normal functioning devices. It's the state where Windows is no longer present and ACPI command is going to be executed.

Once the hp support team pointed out that this issue can be a malfunctioning Intel AMT / MEI, but my device is an AMD Ryzen. I don't think that there is an Intel AMT in it at all...

On Shutdown, Hibernation or Reboot: 90 seconds

On Standby: 90 seconds before and after entering sleep state = 180 seconds

This all started by that firmware update and I really don't know what to do next. Of course, I would like to revert that firmware upgrade, even if the support team says that this is not recommended, at least it worked perfectly before it was updated.

There is a lot more to tell about, now working since 1 week a lot of options and different settings out on it with no success...

Best Regards, GK

HP Recommended

Hi! @doob_gk,

Thanks for the update.

As we have exhausted with all the steps, It sounds like a BIOS corruption issue. I would suggest you contact HP phone support and get the service options for your laptop.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.