Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP so I'm posting this here but it pretains to nearly All laptop makers.

And yes, I have read the thread called  How to prevent and-deal with overheating http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-prevent-and-deal-with-overheating/td... and I find it mostly BS.

It asks you do do things like use a cooling pad you should not have to do. This thread asks you to curb your normal PC usage to compensate for the lack of HP's cooling system to do the proper job. This is a direct result of HP's short PC legs. You should Not have to turn down your brightness settings, or run fewer applications because Windows is designed to multitask or use a scaled down power managment setting when plugged in.  Although the Op does have a few good suggestions those are dead wrong. The Ops statement that

"Laptops are not built to withstand heavy gaming nor even prolonged  viewing of videos (regardless of the Entertainment title). Both of these things often lead to shorten the life of your notebook / netbook."

is wrong because the laptop is built with a AMD cpu/gpu designed for these things. If HP didn't want you to use those features properly, they should not build such a PC. That thread is scamming you.. trying to mask HP's lack of cooling abilities and putting the blame elsewhere. That Op should be asamed of himself.

I have a Pavilion G7 2251dx that is 2 months old. I recently installed Core Temp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ which is an application that monitors your CPU temputure. Now mind you this laptop is new and there is no dust build up in it anyhwere.

I was playing a game called Bulletsrorm and had a browser open, Seamonkey with about 100  tabs open ( I normally keep about 300 tabs open) . Thats all I had open, two things.  This is normal multitasking for a Windows 8 PC and I should have never had any problems. The laptop got up to 202 F degrees which is very close to the TJ Max of the cpu which is 212 F.  If the cpu reaches the TJ Max, it's limit of 212 F, it will shut the system down to protect against cpu damage. 

202 F is way too close to 212 F for comfort. This means that only running 2 applications my PC is about to get too hot and shut itself down. The laptop has been on a solid desktop surface this whole time with nothing cloging the vents, and the fan is operating normaly.

I searched for solutions to the problem and came across people suggesting a laptop cooling pad which can help cool the laptop 5 to 15 degrees. Then I read that most of the time the only real reason the laptop cooling pads work is because they raise the laptop so it gets more air flow.

I thought to test this and came across a quick DIY solution as found here: "5 Cool DIY Ways To Keep Your Laptop Cool"

I used double sided tape to attach two plastic bottle caps to the bottom back edge of my new laptop. I ran my game and browser again and after an hour looked at the amazing results. The cpu temp never got above 170 degrees F.  I have continued to run applications checking my heat status and it never now gets higher than 185 even if I'm running 4 things at once, like a browser with 200 tabs, a graphic heavy video game, playing a movie, and running video editing sofware.

So, dont buy a cooling pad, unless you already tried raising the back end of your PC to allow more air flow and cleaned your fan out if needed.

* But the point of this thread is to show the back laptop legs are designed far to shallow to be of correct use and does not allow proper air flow. This is a serious design flaw but i believe as everyone does it.. it's done on purpose to make your PC die faster so you have to buy another one. This is done in business all the time.

There is a light bulb in the Smithsonian that Thomas Edison himself made that is still working today.. light bulb makers make the light bulbs able to break after so many hours on purpose.

Try this experiment yourself with a brand new HP laptop and you will see, I'll be proven right everytime. This is a known issue talked about on forums that deal with computer cooling issues on a regular basis. I say HP, stop screwing your customers and give the laptops they right legs the need for proper cooling. It may also help increasing the intake hole sizes and put more of them on the laptop.. on my unit, the areas for these holes are small and the holes themselves very tiny.

Go ahead, prove it to yourself.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I agree the cooling is terrible, how hard is it to raise the laptop higher?  The incoming air suction holes are flat on the bottom and get covered very easily on easy flat surface.  This will overheat the machine and reduce it's lifespan.

HP Recommended

Sadly thats what all notebook manufacturer want.

Short lifespan = more notebooks sold in 10 years.

Hp wont help, they dont care.

I think to mod my Envy x360 13.3, Ryzen 5 2500U 2x 4gb ddr4 2400 Ram + bad cooling.

To redesign the bottom of the notebook, use it as extendet cooler.

Replace the 2x 4gb to 2x 8gb 3200.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.