Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 (2L1F2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I received BIOS F.20 through windows update yesterday, and unlocking Windows with my PIN number or with a Fingerprint Scanner takes upwards of 10 seconds sometimes. 

I believe that this has something to do with my System's TPM. TPM.msc and Security manager takes 30-60 seconds to identify that my system has a TPM, and my Event Viewer is full of events that say "The Trusted Platform Module (TPM) hardware failed to execute a TPM command."Screenshot 2022-09-09 125430.png

I have already attempted to clear the CMOS; use BIOS recovery to reinstall the BIOS; running SFC, DISM, and CHKDSK; Doing an In Place Upgrade; Running the HP Cloud Recovery Tool to factory reset; and updating my drivers.

I have tried to downgrade the bios to F.13 (which is the latest BIOS listed on the support page), however, it says that a newer version is installed and doesn't let me install, and when I try to do USB recovery it either tells me that the recovery files are missing or corrupted, or if I try to boot manually into recovery using an EFI file it says that it cannot read the signature file.

Is there any way that I can downgrade my BIOS to F.13, or get another copy of firmware F.20 so I can try to reinstall it?

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hello @Liusef 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
System Model OMEN Laptop 15-en1xxx
System SKU 38H98UA#ABA
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.20, 8/9/2022

HP Recommended

Hello @Liusef 

The current problem was caused by the released BIOS version F.20 that has a major bug ! HP deleted this update from download repro ! And now F.13 Rev.A is the latest, surprise ?

A BIOS downgrade is not possible for "users".

--->>> Please contact HP Support. An HP technician must provide a solution to solve the problem.

Good luck

HP Recommended

How do i contact an HP technician without a warranty? On the support page the only option is to go to a local center, which is not an option for me. Is there some secret way that isn't easily accessible for me to do so? And is there a way for a technician to downgrade my bios remotely, as I need my laptop to do work and I do not have another device that I can use in the meantime if I have to ship my device off or drop it off at a repair shop.

HP Recommended

Hello @Liusef keep me updated

Good luck

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have the same laptop and also received bios F.20 through Windows Update.

I also now experience a VERY slow login using a fingerprint reader, and also opening tpm.msc result in massive stutter.

The laptop freezes now a lot for several seconds before resuming activity.

Using Edge is also very slow while for instance just selecting the address bar, it hangs for 10+ seconds before resuming activity.

I do not have the errors regarding TPM though in event viewer.

Finally, i did the usual dism/sfc/reboot clear cmos. I did not do in place upgrade or complete reinstall.

Here is my system summary :

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 11 Professionnel
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
System Model OMEN Laptop 15-en1xxx
System SKU 4J8B4EA#ABF
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.20, 09/08/2022

I hope a newer bios is pushed soon as we can't downgrade!

My wife has the same laptop, still running Win11 21H2 build 22000 and she has not received the bios yet.

HP Recommended

A temporary fix that I've found is to go into the BIOS and set the TPM to hidden.

However, I think that it's pretty **bleep** stupid that I would have to disable a critical security device on my system that's technically required on Windows 11, just to make it even remotely usable.

HP Recommended

Thanks for you answer! I don't quite want to go down this road as both my SSDs are bitlocker encrypted, and disabling TPM would clear, or at least lock, the encryption key and bitlocker would want me to enter recovery keys on every single boot...

Like you I would very much prefer a newer revision without these issues. I did not ask for this bios update, it came quite automatically through Windows Update and not through HP Support Assistant, so i did not have much to say before it got installed.

I should probably contact HP Support too, just to at least make them know you are not the only one with this issue.

Another person has this issue also, from the HP Omen Discord, btw.

HP Recommended

It appears the problematic F.20 bios update is now available on HP support website : Driver - OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 (2T3A6AV) | HP® Customer Support

This is the very same version i was offered through Windows Update. I tried to manually update to this version, hoping it could have been changed. The update worked fine but i do get exactly the same issues as before.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.