Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv7-4050eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own a Pavillion dv7-4050 eb Entertainment Notebook. By default, the notebook comes with 2 x 2GB RAM. According to the manual, it may be upgraded to 2 x 8GB RAM. I bought 2 x 8GB RAM, DDR3 PC3-10600, 1333 Mhz, 204 pin SODIMM from Kingston.  However, after the upgrade, I can no longer boot the laptop. Windows 10 gets into an endless loop of attempted recovery and reboot, with a "kernel security check error".

Booting with esc and F1 => system information tells me there's 6300MB memory available.

Booting with esc and F2 => system diagnostics => system info tells me there's 16000MB memory available. Both memory modules are correctly recognized as Kingston 8GB, including serial number and further specs.

When I boot the laptop from an Ubuntu live cd, there's no problem at all. The system boots flawlessly, and shows 16GB of RAM available.

Question: how can I get WIN10 to accept the upgraded RAM ?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

When the laptop boots to the Ubuntu, I assume it is booting from the CD instead if the hard drive.  That would tend to point to the hard drive either failing or being corrupted.  Run the Diagnostics from the same popup menu that you pick the boot setup but use F2.

Just in case you have problems getting to the popup menu

To run the Diagnostics routine, start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I ran the hhd test, and it came back "PASSED".

HP Recommended

If it passed, that means the Windows install needs repaired or reinstalled.  Since it is Windows 10, you can make new install media by searching for the Windows Media Creation tool, in your region.  With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"   and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB to reinstall or attempt the repair of the current install.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Actually I don't think Windows 10 should be repaired or reinstalled. Windows 10 worked fine before I installed the extra RAM. There's no reason to believe there's anything wrong now.

HP Recommended

I actually think" I can no longer boot the laptop. Windows 10 gets into an endless loop of attempted recovery and reboot, with a "kernel security check error" is from the Windows install.  Something has corrupted the boot loader or some files.  That is obvious when the Ubuntu Lice CD boots properly and functions.

You can use the "Repair this PC" function from the media created with the Media Creation tool, as described in my earlier post to try and fix the Windows install or do a complete new install.  I really do not see another avenue of resolution.

The only other test would be to put the original memory back to the way it was and see what happens.

Please report back with results.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

The only other test would be to put the original memory back to the way it was and see what happens.

Please report back with results.

Sorry, I should have said so right away.
I did try swapping the original RAM back in, and Windows 10 booted without problems.

HP Recommended

Well, that is interesting.  I think I would still make the Windows media and try the "Repair This PC" from the new media.  It will not hurt anything and might find the cause.  Something is interfering with the Windows boot process, but not sure what it might be.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.