Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP 17-cn1053 laptop and have had my hard drive crashed. Used another laptop to download recovery media and it will not let me install says not for this system. I entered the product ID in the field to download it (recovery media) Look at my bios and it says the product id is not correct. One too many numbers in it (product ID) my sticker says  ID 4S324UA#ABA but the bios has an extra letter, don't know why. I have used biosconfigutility64.exe with the right bios.txt and it says succeeded a reboot or shutdown will need to be done to take effect. I did both. Redid biosconfigutility64 and even without the 64 many times and still bios has not change. So now i cannot recovery my system. Even bought a new hard drive to do this, Check my old hard drive with software and says too many bad sectors. Any suggestions anyone. And yes I did download the latest biosconfigutility.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @mjm65 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

I see that you are facing BIOS issues.

Kindly refer to the steps on this link to update BIOS and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Treeko

HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for response. This laptop has no OS now and I have tried all options you have mentioned with no luck. The bios was updated to F24 before hard drive crash and have done restore bios and even reinstall bios from backup.  In HP Hardware Diag UEFI I do not get all the options you stated. But the bios has been restored many times. Bought this laptop used off EBAY. Do not know what the previous owner did to it and they will not respond to me.  My model is 4S324UA#ABA from the stickers on it, but bios is telling me it is 4S32U2#ABA, product ID not valid when trying to look for HP Cloud recovery tool. All other info is correct as in serial # and such. Have also tried many things on the web no luck. Have also tried Wndmifit64.exe but says system board not not supported and tells me will not be able to set bios settings and then says MPM is not unlocked. All other programs I have tried either in windows or dos say pass but do not do anything. I know I can download a non HP windows OS from microsoft but do not have a key for windows. No sticker on it. Besides it will not come with all the bloatware I am used to. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @mjm65 

Please follow the steps to recover BIOS:

1. Turn off the computer and be sure that the AC adapter is connected to power.

2. Press and hold the Windows + B keys, and then simultaneously press the power button.

3. After 2 to 3 seconds, continue to press and hold the Windows + B keys, but release the power button. You might hear a series of beeps.

If the HP BIOS Update screen is not displayed, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows + V keys. If the screen is still not displayed, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue.

If the power light turns off, the power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure that you press and hold the power button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

If a BIOS recovery message is displayed repeatedly, see Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

If a message displays that the computer improperly shut down or a boot problem is detected, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the error.

If Windows starts, update to the latest BIOS version. Go to HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) (Windows) or HP Business Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) for more information.

For further information, you can refer to this link.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Treeko

HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You are telling what to do for things I have already stated that were done. Seems like what I have read about HP no help at all. All I wanted to do was change the product ID from 4S324US to 4S324UA like it should be. I have read up on this and it seems that the seller change either by mistake or on purpose the Product ID. Guess I will have to buy an windows 10 product key for HP is no help at all. I am done with this BS  Goodbye

HP Recommended

Hi 

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

I hope this helps.

Treeko
HP Support

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.