Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G6-1196sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi All, Wish to install a SSD and W10 on G6-1196sa.  Bit old (the laptop) and wondered if a BIOS upgrade is needed to recognise tthe SSD AND is there one (BIOS upgrade) available for these machines?  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @JoeCaff 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Although I cannot be 100% sure because I haven't used your model specifically, generally speaking BIOS update is not needed unless there is something very specific in the SSD. The BIOS does not make a difference between a Solid State Drive (SSD) or a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). It recognized them by the way they are connecting to the motherboard (most often via SATA). Most HDDs are SATA connected. So, as long as your current HDD is SATA connected and your new SSD will be SATA, too - I believe there will be no problem. This is how it is with most computers.

This is an example of SATA SSD

My personal recommendation is to use Samsund SSDs

Note - just for your information - there are other types of connections and newer are somewhat considered better/faster but I am not sure your PC models supports (actually, it does not) - but here is information for them, as well >>

NVMe vs. M.2 vs. SATA – What’s the Difference?

Let me know how it goes - let me know if this answers your question

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

With regards to BIOS updates/upgrades:

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible. Here is an additional opinion on this >> https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.