Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Same problem here. The left hinge just pulls the bottom of the computer down and separates. Spent all Spring with the wifi adapter crapping out every 10 minutes and now this. I loved this computer up until the last several months.

HP Recommended

@Ernie65

@Gary1962

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended
I have the exact same problem. Hinge is broken and nothing on the screen!! Help!
Did you get yours fixed??!
HP Recommended

Hi,

The laptop is in the process of getting fixed. It should have shipped by now but has not. I should get an update today. It was 6 months out of warranty but I was given a discount on the repair service. All in all, I would say I'm happy at this point.

HP Recommended

@cjlend24

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I did not get mine fixed as HP wanted $199 to fix it. I said that is half of what I paid for the whole laptop. They came down to $149. I told them to forget it. I will never purchase another ANYTHING from this cheap*** company again.

HP Recommended

I understand completely. I paid a little more for mine so it seemed worth it.

It can't be cheap to replace all of these parts under warranty, yet the problem seems to keep reoccuring. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my G7. I can see that the screws that hold the case are intact, but the post they screw into are broken out of the bottom of the case. From what I can see here in the forum looks like lots of folks are having the same issue, on the left side only. Appears to be a defect in the case or the mounting points that are molded into the case bottom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

HP Recommended

Dan,

I agree that the design is flawed and defective. How old is it? Mine was 6 months out of warranty so I had to pay to have it fixed but I did receive a considerable discount on the work. The HP rep was very responsive and did her best to make the process go smoothly. Please do keep in mind that, if you intend to follow through and have your laptop repaired, they will re-image the hard drive. Remove it before you send it in. I bought and installed a cheap drive before I sent mine in...... They replaced it assuming it was bad. 

If the moderator has not contacted you yet, please open a case. You should be able to get the unit fixed promptly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Denis

HP Recommended

I fixed mine. I watched a video online on how to dissasemble the laptop. I took it apart and then tried to glue the points the screws should have attached to without success.

I then decided to drill down through the base of the case, went to Lowes and got machine screws long enough to extend through the bottom of the laptop, and appropriate nuts to secure them. I have small screw ends extending about 1/8" out the bottom of the case with nuts on them but my case is secure and tight.

The left area is also where the power on button is located and where the monitor plugs in. When the case pulls apart it can pull on the connections for these 2 items and cause them to stop working. I found once the case was fixed and these items were properly connected it solved the problem of not powering on and black monitor.

Hope this helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.