Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a refurbished Laptop and wanted to update the drivers, BIOS, etc.  Every time I go to the support page it asks for my serial number and product ID.  Okay, fine, I follow their suggestion and get the information they're requesting by holding down FIN and Escape to display the information.  After entering my Serial Number and Product ID, it says they are not valid.  I've tried it in various support areas (drivers, support, etc.) and my info is always rejected.  I went to contact Support and, guess what, it asks for the same serial and product info and rejects it there as it has everywhere else.  I don't think they ever considered that some may not be able to get support if their system doesn't let you go to the drivers section when the information won't be accepted. I was a Server, System and Network Engineer, for more than 12 years at the Pentagon, but there I used mostly Dell products which, in a pinch, would automatically identify your system and send you to the files you need.  Does HP have a similar way of bypassing the truly frustrating step of identifying your computer, only to be told it's not valid?  I just want an updated BIOS, SATA drivers, etc, but I'm dead in the water.  If any of you experienced a similar problem and found a workaround, I'd be so glad to hear how you did it  Thanks, stay safe and enjoy the holidays!

John H.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, John:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi, Paul!

Thanks, but shortly after posting my tale of woe, I recalled that, early on, I got a pop-up saying that the HP Support Assistant can locate and install drives, so I loaded it up and got what I needed.  The next item on my agenda is to try to figure out why Windows 10 sees my newly-installed hard drive as a DVD/CD drive.  I'm pretty sure I'll track down a solution, but if it's not one thing, it's always another, right?

Thanks again.  Take care and be safe out there!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You stay safe and well too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.