Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17z Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm setting up 2 new laptops, which were ordered with Office 2019 Professional.  When I try to activate Office, I'm given the choice of purchasing Office 365 Premium.  Office 2019 doesn't activate.  Other users have had this problem, as shown in this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Microsoft-Office-2019-won-t-act...

and HP employee with the screen name echo_lake helped the user who started that thread resolve the issue.  I posted to that thread saying that I've got the same problem, but haven't heard a reply.

So, please help!  I know that there is a solution, but I can't proceed with using the new laptops (purchased Office 2019 Professional for both) for their intended purpose without that software installed.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alrighty, the issue is resolved.  Apparently, one must wait one week from initially starting a new laptop to allow Office 2019 Professional to be activated.  For each of the two laptops, once the one week mark arrived, starting Office gave a prompt to install/activate the purchased Office 2019 Professional.

My suggestion to HP is to provide some information to the purchaser that this will be the case; it might cut down on some of these posts!  🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Update.  On 5/9/20, one  week after starting the setup of the first new laptop, when I opened Office it said that "this device has Office 2019" and I was able to install it.  I started setting up the second new laptop (also ordered with Office 2019 Professional) on 5/10, and as of today it is still trying to get me to activate the Office 365 trial.

I also started a new thread on 5/8/20 on this forum for my issue, but as of now have heard nothing from HP support either on this thread or the new one.

I can't seem to find any way to contact support besides this forum and Facebook Messenger.  Since I don't have a Facebook account, it seems to me that there is no way to contact them, since they apparently aren't monitoring new threads in this forum.

HP Recommended

@astrolaptop

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you getting error message or code while activating the Microsoft office 2019?
  • Do you have a product key?

Open the Office installer or application (Word, Excel), and then follow the on-screen prompts to activate Office.
NOTE: If you have any issues activating Office, download and install Reset MS Office AFO and AFOLB Settings – CPS (sp78285.exe), and then open any Office application to restart the activation process.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @echo_lake, thanks for replying!!!

I don't receive any error messages when trying to activate.  Rather, the activation process seems to apply to the trial of Office 365 that comes with the HP laptops.  The "let's activate" screen has an option at the bottom to "skip this trial."  If I press "activate," the product that is being activated is Office 365, not Office 2019 Professional.  As a result, I've been stopping the activation process, since I've read that once Office 365 is installed, getting another version of Office installed at a later time can be difficult.

Since we bought Office 2019 Professional with the laptops, I had hoped that a product key would be included, but that was not the case.  If you want to communicate privately, I can tell you the order number and the serial number of the laptop.  Then perhaps the appropriate product key can be assigned.

Again, many thanks for your reply!

HP Recommended

@astrolaptop

Thank you for posting back. 

All new computers goes with the Microsoft Office package trial version once that expires you need to activate the purchased version with activation key. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, @echo_lake.

Perhaps when the trial version expires I can activate Office 2019 Professional?  I don't have a key, but perhaps HP has supplied that to Microsoft with this computer's serial number as a reference?

I've tried the support link in the past,  but the only options for support seem to be this forum, a virtual assistant chat (which didn't help) and Facebook Messenger (for which I don't have an account).  So, you're the only support contact that I have.

I tried the link to the activation reset software that you provided in your initial reply.  When I tried to run the app, I got the following:  "AFOREG~1.EXE - System Error.  The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I think that the trial period for Office 365 will expire in a couple of days, and hopefully that will allow the purchased Office 2019 Professional to be activated.  I'll update this thread as appropriate.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@astrolaptop

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results. And also you can check your email or purchase order for the activation key.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Alrighty, the issue is resolved.  Apparently, one must wait one week from initially starting a new laptop to allow Office 2019 Professional to be activated.  For each of the two laptops, once the one week mark arrived, starting Office gave a prompt to install/activate the purchased Office 2019 Professional.

My suggestion to HP is to provide some information to the purchaser that this will be the case; it might cut down on some of these posts!  🙂

HP Recommended

@astrolaptop

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.