Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc0900nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello i have recently reset my computer and i have been unable to clear my icon cache. I have tried running the 

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer 
attrib –h 
thumbcache_*.db 
del thumbcache_*.db 
start explorer

command in command prompt  but it always says "'thumbcache_*.db' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."  What is there that i can do? thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Also, if i access explorer, kill the explorer task and then use the command "del iconcache*" it says access denied and when i close all the background processes it just says "Could Not Find C:\Users\alber\AppData\Local\IconCache*.db"

HP Recommended

@albertus50, Welcome to the HP Support Community!\

Make sure you are the administrator to make these changes.

Let us follow these steps to rebuild the icon cache database:

1. Open Start and do a search for Command Prompt.
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator.
  3. Type the following command to navigate to the icon cache database location and press Enter:

cd %homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

4. Type the following command to verify the icon cache database files are at the location and press Enter:

dir iconcache*

5. The output of the dir command will list the database files.

6. Type the following command to stop File Explorer and press Enter:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

Important: Once you terminate File Explorer, your desktop background and taskbar will disappear, leaving a black screen — but it's OK, it's only temporarily. You need to close File Explorer to be able to delete the icon cache files. Otherwise, you won't be able to do it.

7. Type the following command to delete the iconcache files and press Enter:

del iconcache*

8. Type the following command to verify that you successfully deleted the icon cache files and press Enter:

dir iconcache*

If you still see some iconcache files, then it's likely that some apps are still running, which will prevent you from deleting the database files. Make sure to close them all, and repeat the steps.

9. Type the following command to start File Explorer and press Enter:

explorer.exe

10. Close Command Prompt to complete the task.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello kumar thank you very much for your answer, unfortunately i will not be able to test it out as my computer had a hardware problem this morning and i had to send jt to repair. I will, however, try this when i get it back. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@albertus50

Sure, feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.