Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15x 360 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

NOTE:  THIS LAPTOP Began WITH WINdows 8.  SincE INstallinG WinDOWS 10, AFTER INItial shutdown WITH THE ONscreen commanD 'Button', which turnS OFF THE SCREEN (maybE PROGRAMS TOO?) I Need to press and holD THE POWER Button TO COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.  i'VE TROUBle shooted this a nUMBer of times anD have finALLY JUST 'LIVED WITH IT' sincE WINdows 10 was fIRST RELEASED TO THE PUBliC.   bUT on TO THE PRESENT issue:

As  you can TELL BY THE typinG HERE, THE CAPS LOCK APPEARS TO HAVE A MIND OF ITS OWN.  rIGHT NOW, IT'S FLASHING ON AND OFf.  THE N AND B BUTTONS sometimes effect it (turnING IT on OR OFF), BUt not always.

I have:

1.  restarted the computer;

2. hard restarted the computer;

3. attempted an exTERNal keyboard.

iDEAS please?  🙂

paULA

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

OnE MORE ISSUE WHICH STARTED IN the past hour:   mOUSE IS sometimes unRESPONSivE unlESS UNtil ctrl bUTTON pressed.

Steps TAKEN sincE POST:

1.  WenT TO DEVICE MANAgER ANd removed the drivers for the keyboard.   rESTARTED.   

2.   hp PC HARDWARE DIAGNOstics FOR WINdows 10  downLOADED.   KeybOARD TEST RUN.   Space bAR WAS SLOW TO SHOW UP ON test (onLY DID AFTER THE FAIL anD A RETRY) ANd CAPS lOCK FLICKERED ON anD OFF CONstanTLY without bEINg pressed.  PressinG cAPS LOCK WAS UNresponSIVE, But sincE IT HAD registered as 'pressed', It passed.

Paula

HP Recommended

@Paula2009

I have gone through your Post and I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Please update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Next run the Keyboard Test from F2 Diagnostic and let me know if the CAPS Lock flickers during the Test

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Keyboard

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KRAZYTOAD

Bios updated.

I ran THE KEYBoard diagnOSIS.   the CAPSLOCK BLinKED REGULARLY AND on THE INItial bLINk, lit the corresponDINg key in THE TEST.   i HAD ISSUES WHEN attemptinG TO GET THE INsert key to LIGHT.     tHIS WAS VERY VERY SIMILAR TO THE DIAGNOstics I ran ALREADY.  🙂

oNe thing i'VE NOticed.  Using THE SHIFT KEYS ALLOWs ME TO CHANge the upper to lower case anD vice versa, except the right shift key anD THE LETTER Q.   IF I PRESS AND hold the right shift key and PRESS Q, Nothing HAPPENs.  nOT SURE IF THIS HELPS AT ALL.

pAULA

HP Recommended

@Paula2009

Thanks for keeping me posted

This seems to be a Hardware issue with the Keyboard.

Please contact HP Support for service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

Paula

HP Recommended

😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.