Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

As the title suggested, my start menu appear to be in chinese and I dont know how to change it back to english 😞 please help

start menu

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

1) Press Windows key+X+A. This will open administrative command prompt and type control.exe /name Microsoft.Language

2) Language window pops out and tap on Add Language and follow on screen Instructions to download English Language and Install.

3) On successful Updating to English Language. In Language window make sure to Select English Language to first position by tapping on Move up under Change your Language Preferences section.

4) Restart the system to take changes effect.

Hope this steps will helpful in resolving your query

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I accidently changed the F2 start up function to arabic. How do I change it back?

HP Recommended

English is already there but when I HIT THE f2 FUNCTION KEY ON BOOT Arabic comes up.

HP Recommended

English is already there but when I hit the F2 function key on boot Arabic comes up.

HP Recommended

F2 on boot brings you into the Diagnostic Mode. Once opened, and in Arabic in my case, pick the first choice and if that is not Engish hit the Escape Key once which will always take you back to the previous menu.

Do this one by one untill it changes back to English and then save ! That was 2 hours of a support connection which ended at 1am for me 😞

HP Recommended

Thanks it worked. I accidentally picked "korean" or something and was really scared there for a while!

HP Recommended

None of these suggestions work, probably because I'm stuck in the setup screens and can't get out.

HP Recommended

Hi @wallymountz,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to change the setup screen back to English from another language on your HP Computer.

You need to perform a system recovery on your computer and then select the language as English during initial setup.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link to perform a system recovery: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Rainbow23, however, this doesn't work because the first instruction in this recovery process asks me to "search for and open recovery manager," I can't perform this because I'm stuck in the setup screens. Even when I reboot, it comes back to the same place in the setup screens.

I did resolve this by taking the computer back to the store where I purchased it. The salesman tried to change it back to English and failed. So he redownloaded the entire Windows 10 OS and started all over. This resolved the situation but still left me wondering if I've made the right choice in purchasing a HP computer. Because I live in Portugal, HP in the U.S. won't talk to me unless I pay them and the HP Portugal help is all in Portuguese, which I don't speak or read.

Thanks again Rainbow23.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.