Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new HP Envy 17 and quite happy with it with the exception of the touchpad which is driving me a bit insane to be honest.

The issue is that I don't seem to be able to change the speed of the 2 finger scroll gesture, it's incredibly slow vs what I've been using in the past. In settings there seems to be no option to change it.

I tried changing the settings for the mouse wheel and that didn't make any difference.

I even tried to change some keys in the registry editor but it only seems to be making a very marginal difference.

Does anyone have any advice? Are there perhaps specific drivers I can install to have additional settings I can control?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bthere79

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you update the Touchpad driver and the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Keep me posted how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @krazytoad,

I have done that, it has not made a difference to the scroll speed or the options available in the settings section.

Can you assist?

HP Recommended

@bthere79

I understand your concerns.

Please try creating a new user account on your computer.

Go to http://hp.care/2dWJKgW  and follow the steps to create a new user account.

Please refer to the below link to troubleshoot the issue.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04648748

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

does anybody actually know the answer to my question?

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@bthere79 

@bthere79 wrote:

does anybody actually know the answer to my question?

The answer is "Perhaps not".  

Discussion

It may not be "broken".  Could be, but maybe not.

Your original inquiry included:

"The issue is that I don't seem to be able to change the speed of the 2 finger scroll gesture, it's incredibly slow vs what I've been using in the past. In settings there seems to be no option to change it."

======================================================================

TouchPad controls are different for different machines.  For example, the TouchPad and available mechanical (ToucPad hardware) controls on my Zbook 17 G3 are likely not the same as on your HP ENVY 17  (exact model unknown).  

Two finger scroll operation is the same - or at least similar - on both systems.  This is a Windows operation.

What about the computer hardware?

The Zbook is generally fast to respond - it contains high-grade graphics, a lot of memory packed into it, a fast and powerful cpu - even at four years of age, most anything I throw at this system it simply "does".  Hardware matters.

That said, two fingered scrolling on any Windows menu, any document opened in Windows (for example 25 page document in Office Word), any locally controlled software or application - two fingered scrolling response in these circumstances is fast, usually very fast.

Two fingered scrolling in any browser - again, even connected to very fast Internet - is slower.  The degree to which it is slower might depend on the home network, the website, the amount of security installed in the browser, the overall speed of the Internet (due to traffic, for example).

If your computer is under-powered, then even something as seemingly benign as a fancy background on your Display Desktop can slow down other functions.

If your Internet connection is slow, labored, stressed, (then) anything you do in a browser or Internet dependent operation / application may be slower. 

If your router is outdated, weak, stressed (lots of devices attached),  website / browser / network based operations may be slower.

=====================================================================

What to do?

Already, good recommendations have been offered.  Having garnered the interest of two agents is unusual, after all. 

In general, I recommend you create a Restore Point before making changes.  Having a Restore Point is similar to the total Export of the Registry you made before you changed the Registry.  It is always best to have a fall-back position in case you actually break something.

(How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

Next...

• Update everything, including all the Windows Updates and the HP Updates necessary for your system.  These recommendations are general "good housekeeping".
  • Determine whether the scrolling operation is slow everywhere or whether it is slower in some conditions (browser?).
  • Choose where to concentrate your efforts to resolve your issue.  For example, it is reasonable to use Windows rather than Websites to measure any potential changes.  Websites are somewhat less in your computer's control for the reasons already mentioned (Internet / network).
  • Look to see what others have done.

For example, try 

• If it does not intrude of other your actions, consider reducing the necessary pressure needed to scroll - increase the sensitivity, for example.  Settings > Devices > TouchPad

•  Settings > Devices > TouchPad > Additional Settings >  Mouse Properties > tab Wheel > Increase the Vertical Scroll number > Click OK to save changes

Note - IF the options are included on your system, you can select to scroll "one Screen at a time"

• Settings > Devices > TouchPad > Additional Settings > Mouse Properties > tab Pointer Options > Increase the pointer speed (so it does not drag down the scroll for example on a system with slower graphics) > Click OK to save changes

Note - Switch Off (if used / if available) Device Pointer Trails

• Settings > Devices > TouchPad > Additional Settings > Mouse Properties > tab Pointers > Select "Normal scheme" and "Normal Select" > Click OK to save changes

• Set your Desktop Background to something plain, and do not use any kind of a "slide show".  Why?  Just more interference - IF the issue you see is related to strained resources on the computer, reducing the other activities expected of the system may help

Search the 'net for better / additional solutions.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

thanks for your message Dragon.

I don't think HP is some kind of charity and I paid good money for my new laptop so I'm not all salivating just because two agents responded a week after I posted giving me very generic and ultimately useless support.

The HP website does explain how to change this (see below), however it's pretty useless when my PC actually does not have that setting, that tab is altogether missing. I updated the drivers but as mentioned, no difference.

I tried messing about with all the settings you mentioned, unfortunately it did not make a difference. Would you suggest I call HP? Would I get better support than I'm getting from agents here?

bthere79_0-1589557929739.png

HP Recommended

@bthere79 

Short Version

Computer is new, if you feel it is not working as expected, then please do contact HP Support. 

You will need the Serial Number (do not post that here) to submit the case.

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. If still available > Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

READ:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Reminders

HP Support does not publicly post contact numbers.  Please submit your case online

• Provide all the requested information
  • Explain the problem > Ask for help
  • Submit the case
  • After the case is submitted, Contact information for your area will be displayed on your screen
  • Wait times can be long – Response centers are very busy.

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).
  • Chat is not available in every region.  In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
  • HP will advise you when there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.
  • HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by contract package.
  • Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  
  • HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warranty Check

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Longer Version - In closing

I don't know about "better" - were I to say so, it would imply I believe our advice to be without value.  Smiling.  I won't say that.

We are volunteers - Agents and Experts, too.

I do not know what kind of computer you have beyond "Envy" - "Envy 17" notebook - your model number has not been provided.   Should you wish to look for more help, it is best for those trying to answer to know what you have.

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

I won't bother you again - I can see I did not help and perhaps made it worse.  It was not my intention.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.