Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chromebook
Chrome OS

I just got this NEW HP Chromebook TODAY from COSTCO and when I log in to my account it only stays on fro a few seconds then screen goes black?!  If I log in as a guest it lets me stay online.  If I log on as my daughter her account does the same thing - shuts off after a few seconds?  I have restarted, I have scrubbed, I have reset flags EVERYTHING!  I literally JUST made my Google account so there are no fancy "apps" or anything associated with this?!  I am at a loss and very frustrated. And of course the HP help line is not available...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@s_kimes Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Chromebook shutting off when logged in - but not when a guest.

Perform a hard reset

A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer memory. This forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

A hard reset does not remove any local files or settings.

1. Press the power button and refresh button for five seconds. The computer turns off, and then turns on again.

2. If necessary, press power button again to turn on the laptop.

If the issue still persists, Perform a system recovery

A system recovery completely erases any local files or settings and returns the computer to its original factory shipped state.

• If a hard reset does not resolve your issue OR your Chromebook shows the error message Chrome OS is missing or damaged, you might need to perform a system recovery. For detailed instructions go to Chromebook Help Center and search for Recover your Chromebook.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.