Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The cursor randomly jumps around the screen while at idle and while I am using it. One example, if I am in an excel spreadsheet and trying to click on a box it will jump and highlight a section of the screen or take off across the row or column. If I am trying to click on somewhere specific on the screen the cursor will jump and click something different. I have no control over it. At times it is so bad the computer becomes unusable. I just purchased this computer late last summer or early fall. I changed the setting to shut off the touchpad while my logitech mouse is plugged in. I have removed the usb connection on my logitech mouse and the problem persist. If I completely disable the touchpad the problem perists. I have done a complete virus/spyware scan and the system is clean. I have applied the most recent windows updates as well. I will intermitt Lastly, I have rebooted the system. Any thoughts? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dmonroe216

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@dmonroe216

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the touchpad moves and clicks on its own causing issues around the desktop screen,
don't worry as I will be able to help you out, although, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

• Does this happen only with the browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?
  • Have you made any recent updates to your computer, software or hardware related?
  • When was the last time it worked fine (date)?

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.
Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."
Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Does this happen only with the browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?
This happens on the home screen or in any program. The
pointer is constantly returning to the center or upper
center if the screen. To the point I am having to use the
touch screen to measure selections because the pointer is
unusable.
Have you made any recent updates to your computer,
software or hardware related?
No
When was the last time it worked fine (date)?
Maybe a week or two ago? I cannot recall exactly, but it
has been very recent.

I did uninstall the mouse and restart the computer without any change to the problem. I also have tried an external USB mouse and the same thing happens, even if I disable to touch pad, although maybe a little less frequent, but still nearly usable. If I have a screen up with selectable fields on it you grab see the pointer rapidly cycle up the fields without me touching the mouse.
HP Recommended

@dmonroe216

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed. 

If the alternate/external mouse didn't work either, it's possible the issue is related to the touchscreen and not the touchpad,

Here's what you need to do, to confirm my theory:

I recommend testing your touchscreen for hardware failures,
please use this link to run a test using the hardware diagnostics tool.

Also, check on the BIOS screen by restarting and tapping on F10 to access, if the touchscreen doesn't respond as it should on the BIOS, it's a hardware malfunction,

If it works fine on the BIOS, please update to the latest Touchscreen/Display drivers using the Official HP Website.

Please Contact HP if the issue persists on the BIOS screen to set up a hardware repair service:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information and very detailed instructions. I ran the quick test and everything passed. I then went out and did a component test of the touch screen and the pointing device. All tested well. I then followed the link to the drivers you suggested. I installed the latest update of the touchscreen drivers as well as the touch pad. So far all seems well. I will keep you posted and update the status if this works. Thank you again for all of your help, it is truly appreciated!!!

HP Recommended

@dmonroe216

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning. I accepted the solution yesterday and today the problem recurred. The cursor jumps to the middle of the screen and can be seen continuously, rapidly shooting from the center of the screen to the top of the screen. I first noticed it in internet explorer but now I am seeing it in all programs. When I am not using the cursor, I will see a spontaneous random flicker of a small circle in the center of the screen traveling upwords before disappearing, when using the cursor the same will happen with the pointer. Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi @dmonroe216, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, recommend you boot the computer to the recovery mode and check if the issue occurs in the recovery manager. 

To boot the computer to the recovery manager. 

Turn off the computer. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F11 repeatedly on startup to enter the recovery manager. 

Observe the computer in recovery manager, if the issue persists in recovery manager as well. 

Please contact our phone support for the service options available. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with mine after only 3 weeks of owning it.  I sent it in to HP for warranty repair on 4/6.  I was assured on 4/11 that I would receive my computer back no later than the end of the month.  Now I am being told that there is a shortage of parts and I won't get it back until June 6. 

This is totally unacceptable.  I bought this computer after much research to transfer videos for my mother's memorial service at the end of June and it looks like I will have to buy another laptop that actually works to get this done.

So far, HP will not send me a replacement.  I will not buy another HP product again.

HP Recommended

@BGIN

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I understand your concern and to help you out, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details). 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.