Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will start by saying all drivers are loaded and current as per HP SoftPaq Download Manager.

• Windows 10 64bit Enterprise Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299. All Updates 
  • Synaptics VFS7552 WBF Touch Fingerprint Sensor Driver VERSION: 5.2.5005.26 REV: A PASS: 2
  • HP Client Security Manager VERSION: 9.3.4.2441 REV: A PASS: 1

I have also uninstalled the above drivers, deleted all directories, then did a fresh install of them, twice.

The issue is that when I leave the laptop alone and it plugged in to AC power and the screen locks in 5 mins. Then the DigitalPersona Local Host Process DpHostW.exe starts a memory leak and consuming all the RAM.

When I come back to the machine, and try to unlock using fingerprint, nothing happens. I unlock it using the password and then it sits are logging in for many minutes before I am actually logged back in and screen in unlocked. Immediely going into Task Manager reveals that SpHostW.exe has consumed memory that is relative to screen lock time. In 30 mins it can consume up to 8GB and in 1hr it consumes all the ~12GB free in the system. The longer the system is left locked and powered on the more memory is consumed. Classic Memory leak.

It does not happen as long as I am logged into Windows and working on it. Normally DPHostw.exe sits at 19MB memory consumed. 

When laptop has AC power I have sleep and hibernate disabled and screen is off after 10 mins. If the memory runs out completely. WIndows reboots itself. This only happens once logged in and then sleep. Attached is a picture showing the effect.

This is really annoying. I have no recourse but to delete and disable DigitalPersona and not use fingerprint login, which is a pity beacuse it is one of the key features I bought the machine for.

DpHostW.exe Memory LeakDpHostW.exe Memory Leak

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

I've got the same issue on Win10 1709  @ HP ProBook 650 G3 (Z2W60EA#AKD)

2017-11-29 20_47_04-Menedżer zadań.png

HP Recommended

Same issue also here @ HP EliteBook folio 1040 G3 (V1A85EA#ABZ).

• Win10 Pro 64bit 1709 (build SO 16299.98) 
  • HP Client Security Manager  -  Ver.  9.3.4.2441
  • Synaptics FB Sensors driver - Ver. 4.5.344.0

Annoying.

HP Recommended

Same here on my ProBook 650. Anybody find a solutions yet?

HP Recommended

Same here on a couple of fully updated EliteBook 850 G4 - Win 10 Pro x64.

Is anybody at HP reading this threads?

HP Recommended

Same problem here, HP Probook 430 G4, Win 10 Pro 10.0.16299 build 16299. All updates for windows as well as for HP.
Very annoying, I hope HP can resolve this fast. tx.

HP Recommended

I've found this workaround (beware: it will remove HP Client Securit features, only fingerprint login will be kept...):

• uninstall both "HP Device security" (skip reboot) and "HP Client Security" (reboot now) from installed apps
    Fingerprint sensor drivers won't be removed, so you can now enable bundled Windows 10 biometric login option
  • open Start menu, type "Access options" to open the access options configuration page
  • if the Fingerprint option is disabled (on my domain-joined machine it was) you need to change your Local (or Group) policies to enable it; follow the steps here.
    (if the link above dies, here's the policy registry key to change)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"AllowDomainPINLogon"=dword:00000001
  • reopen the access options configuration page, now the Fingerprint login option should be enabled, register your fingerprints then choose a PIN (Windows Hello requires it, don't know why but that's it)
  • lock your computer with WIN+L and the fingerprint login should work immediately

No more DpHostW.exe process, problem solved!

HP Recommended

Thank you Nicorac. The only problem with the Windows login (hello) is that without pre-boot authentication the SED encryption doens't make much sense.
Alternative software encryption (bitlocker) eats up a lot of system resources too - basically means trading one problem with another. Thus, let's not give up that fast.

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Has anyone reported this to HP?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, since a few months.

My system is a HP ZBook Studio G4.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.