Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've kind of resolved the issue by just switching HP's "Windows Logon Security" off, while leaving "power-on authenticaton" on (see screenshot below). Like this the login is with Hello with normal pw/pin/fingerprint... but in the pre-boot authentication the fingerprint is working as well, thus, it's more convenient than a Bios-set power-on password, and allows me to protect my drive with Drivelock.
Disadvantage is that I have to swipe my finger twice on cold starts (once pre-boot, once Hello), but it's fast, and anyway most of the time the machine is only in sleep anyway.
I don't understand the security advantage of Windows Logon Security if one only uses password/pin/fingerprint, thus, I think I can safely do without?
Has anyone a solution without HP Client Secuirty, which still effectively and conveniently (read: fingerprint) enables hardware encryption of the drive (I mean, SED with drivelock; not Bitlocker)?

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

HP Client Security Manager 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85699.exe

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85699.html

HP Device Access Manager 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87123.exe

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87123.html

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
my english is broken
the meaning may not be accurate
◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
HP Recommended

Exactly the same memory leak problem since Dec 2017.  HP Elitebook 840 G3.  I have tried everything I can think of and so have our corporate IS/IT people.  I have also had the machine re-imaged.  Could it be a problem with the hardware itself (i.e., the fingerprint reader)?

I have noticed that when this happens, if I go into Windows Event Viewer (Applications and services logs/HP/HP Protect Tools/Security Manager/Operational) - I find that there have been numerous failed attempts to login with fingerprint when I am away from the locked machine, such as for lunch.  It seems like something is causing the machine to think that login attempts have been made.

I will continue to explore this with our tech folks.  HP hasn't been any help.

HP Recommended

We have the same issue on 12 ZBook 15 G4 and 5 EliteBook 840 G4 laptops.  We found upgrading the bios helps, the original bios laptops are affect more than the latest ones.  We even shipped an EliteBook to HP that had the issue occur everyday, just once everyday.  They could not get it to happen at their facility though.  I even sent them memory dump files from the laptops when the event would occur, they said it revealed nothing.  We are fed up with HP and this issue, to the point where we are going to return everything!  This is not support, this is customer's fending for themselves and trying to find a resolution to the problems!

HP Recommended

So, I was issued a new Elitebook 840 G4 to replace my G3.  The same thing started happening on day 2.  Everything appears to be up-to-date in terms of updates, etc.  This is unbelievable!!

HP Recommended

So far we have seen a reduction in the slow logins/no fingerprints with a bios update to the latest version.  Use HPImage Assistant to analyse your system to see what needs to be updated.  It will look at bios, drivers, etc...  Laptops with old bios versions have the problems more frequently than the latest bios version.

HP Recommended

The latest BIOS, 1.16 for the 840 G4 was installed yesterday.  No change.

HP Recommended

Here are some other directions HP support gave on this issue:

Your logs unfortunately keep coming up with inconclusive results.  Therefore, Engineering would like you to try this:

1. Run regedit.exe .
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DigitalPersona\DPPT\Plugins\System\AuthenticationDomains
  3. Export this key. (Export allows for restoring this key after testing if needed.)
  4. Delete this key.
  5. Restart the system.
  6. Work for a while to see if the problem recurs.

Maybe the combination of the bios update and the registry change will help.

HP Recommended

Did this help your issues?

HP Recommended

On the ZBook G4 it didn't help right away.  The next day I still had the same issue.  For some strange reason though I have not had the issue since.  On the EliteBook G4, I am not sure if they did that key delete when they had the laptop or not.  I have since reset it to factory and tried the Windows Hello FIngerprint setup and I do not have the issue present.  Other areas online recomend not doing the HP Fingerprint setup so there might be something to that..

We have always had Dell computers before these latest HPs, I must admit I am not happy at all with the support from HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.