Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen X 17-AP020NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While I was setting up Windows 10 I noticed that every screen with HP on it included some form of data collection. Now, normally I'm OK with some collection but the inability to turn any of it off is a dealbreaker. Any way to do so, I am not seeing any in the menus.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @The_Guru

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

During the start up / configuration process, you noticed information for data collection for registering with HP and the other is general information. 

I suspect you registered your computer with HP already and you have your PC registered with them during the installation process. This is one off - one time process.

With regards to the others, I think there was an option in HP Support Assistant (HPSA) in its Settings but for you to be on the safe side, you might want to uninstall any HP related to software which is not mandatory to keep - like HP Support Assistant , HP Support Solutions framework, HP wireless assistant, HP ePrint SW, etc... or similar. Your PC needs as mandatory to work well the drivers only. All other software might be helpful in some conditions but is not mandatory to keep and your PC will function even without it.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply WinSec.

I made a clone of the drives and loaded them in VM to go through all the options in a safer environment (before posting) and did not see any options to opt-out  anywhere in any of the HP softwares. I did register separately and what naught.

I suppose I'll image it, wipe and try a clean Windows install and leave the activation to the BIOS chip and see if everything works ok. Was not sure about the audio driver though, looked at it longer and it appears they're just using a realtek driver so might be ok. Will be a pity not to be able to use some of the features though, looks like the OMEN command center (for the overclock and such) uses google analytics in addition.

HP Recommended

I just had a pop-up dialog box appear today after clicking the HP Audio Switch icon in the taskbar overflow area that indicated the data collection HP was doing on my computer.  I found a setting in the HPSA settings (upper left area of the HPSA window between search and about that looked to me that I opted out of data collection, but here it is.  Anyway, that's the only place I found it.  

HP Recommended

Has this been fixed?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42309371

Are there still keyloggers in HP Software?

HP Recommended

I assume the data logger is gone.  I checked and I now have the updated driver as indicated in the web page you linked to.  I also have not seen any popups that would make me think data logging was occurring.  Thank you for your assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.