Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce525sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Desperate to disable trackpad on new laptop!  I can get on with it UNTIL I keep catching it whilst typing and end up doing weird & wonderful things that I don't want to!  Especially as I am trying to finish an online course and I'm ending up deleting more work than I'm inputting!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JBT58

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Click Start , and then type mouse in the search field.
  2. Click Change your mouse settings.
  3. Click Additional mouse options.
  4. In Mouse Properties, click the TouchPad tab. 
  5. Uncheck Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad.  
  6. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - I don't have a TouchPad ab in the mouse settings!

HP Recommended

@JBT58

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's uninstall Touchpad device from device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 
  2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 
  3. Under this category, right-click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 
  4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button. 
  5. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 
  6. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - have tried this before but thought I'd follow through all your instructions - still nothing! I  Followed all your instructions, restarted then comes up with this notification 'Restart required - your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device:  Synaptics SMBus Clickpad (which is my device).  I've uninstalled the mouse but this makes no difference either.

Surely there must be a way to disable this permanently?  I've just had a set of college work returned for remediation and have found that the main problem has been missing work or it's all been jumbled up - I've obviously touched the clickpad and despite my careful checking have missed what has happened.

HP Recommended

@JBT58

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Just to make sure, I can keep this case open for a day and check with you after 48 hours. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried to log into support but I'm not getting anywhere - just automated question selection in the support search results.

I touch type and there is no way I can do this if I have my hands in the correct position - I've tried altering my hand postition but it isn't comfortable.

It seems pretty stupid that the Symptac Clickpad can't be uninstalled and I wonder if the laptop is automatically reinstalling?  If I can't get this sorted soon I'm at risk of not completing my course!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.