Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G71 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Did a reset of my computer saving files and photos.  However, lost administrator account and lost all files and photos.  Have reinstalled from a back-up flash drive, but no longer have Microsoft Works to open many documents.  Is there any way to download Microsoft Worksand Task Launcher?  This factory installed on my computer 7 years ago with Windows 7.  It was operating with Windows 10, until my reset today.  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @dgfchaumont

Thank you for posting. Welcome to the HP Support forum !

Microsoft Works is a discontinued office suite. It was initially released in 1988 and Microsoft ditched it few years ago.

You will need to use Microsoft Office - and eventually buy a license for it.

Microsoft offers subscription based Office payment - 1 PC/1 user for 6.99 USD/per month >> Office 365 >>

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Office-365/categoryID.68021500

You may buy a perpetual license for 149 USD / 1 payment >> https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/All-Office/categoryID.69403900?icid=Homepage_Le...

If you have a documents created with Works and saved in the old Works file format, you will need to use this free utility and convert the files to newer MS Office format so that you can read your old docs >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12

Hope this helps !

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I have Microsoft Office 2000 Premium, which works fine in Windows 10.  So, I could potentially convert the Microsoft Works documents to Microsoft Word and Excel.  I downloaded the convertor, but have not been able to find out if it will work with Microsoft Office 2000.  Although the convertor is in my program list, it does not seem to open or do anything?

HP Recommended

Personally, I have never used the converter program.

Last time I have seen MS Works was with old PC - version 8 - many many years ago. Not sure if it works on Windows 10 as Windows 10 is special as it might reject quite a lot of old software due to being non-compatible. From what I see during my research for this issue, all that is needed is to just install the software.

You may try to right click the wps file (Works file) and try to open it with MS Office after the converter has been installed.

Something else I just found is that the free open-source office - LibreOffice should be able to open MS Works files

Download and use for free from > https://www.libreoffice.org/

You may eventually convert them to DOC/Word files if you want to or keep Libre Office installed along with your MS Office 2000.

Let me know if this works for you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

My laptop crashed and I had to take it to the Geek Squad.  They had to wipe my hard drive and reset my computer.  THey saved my files but not my programs.  All of my info is saved under 2007 Microsoft Works Task Launcher.

I do Not know how to download it to access my files.   HELP ME PLEASE!!!!  I was born in 1940 and have trouble with these modern electronics.

THANK YOU,

@dgfchaumont wrote:

Did a reset of my computer saving files and photos.  However, lost administrator account and lost all files and photos.  Have reinstalled from a back-up flash drive, but no longer have Microsoft Works to open many documents.  Is there any way to download Microsoft Worksand Task Launcher?  This factory installed on my computer 7 years ago with Windows 7.  It was operating with Windows 10, until my reset today.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.