Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 3126el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know, this is a very old laptop, btw on the driver list on this link https://support.hp.com/it-it/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-3100-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri... There are some drivers that add some support for UEFI, but the MB doesn't support the UEFI. Why? What exactly are they for?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi
not very clear indeed, but see the attached document!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-dv6-3100-entertainment-notebo...

https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/296/col30889-ob-93558-3-ob-93558-3_sp52509.html

The HP BIOS Update UEFI provides support for safe and secure BIOS updates from
HP. This package is available on supported notebooks that are running a
supported operating system.

Improves security handling of BIOS password files.
- Improves installer.
- Adds support for new systems.

HP BIOS Update must be run from a FAT or
FAT32 partition with a volume name of "HP_TOOLS".
This installer will give you the option to install
to the HDD or a USB drive. If you install to the
HDD and the HP_TOOLS partition is not present, the
installer will prompt you to create the HP_TOOLS
partition. If you install to a USB drive, the
installer will rename the partition on the USB drive
to HP_TOOLS. If you use a custom image, you can
create the HP_TOOLS partition manually with type
FAT32 and make the volume name HP_TOOLS.

Caution
- The UEFI partition is not protected and can therefore be deleted.
- Backing up the computer using the Windows® Vista® Complete PC Backup does
not back up the UEFI partition.

For these reasons, HP recommends that you do not place additional data on the
UEFI partition. Because the partition is not backed up, corruption or failure of
the partition will result in loss of all data on the partition, plus loss of
UEFI functionality.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Sorry, I was unclear... Seeing these drivers I thought they were BIOS updates, but once installed I got nothing updated, and the BIOS still doesn't have UEFI support, so what exactly are these drivers for?
If they are exclusively for supported PCs, in case mine is not supported, how come they are in the list of drivers for my laptop?

HP Recommended

No, it's not you, you were very clear, I understood your request perfectly
what is not clear is the indication given by HP
On the one hand, we can understand that this gives the UEFI version, as we might expect
But on reading the document, it doesn't seem clear to me, it might just add options
If you have tried, with the procedure, indicated, have you re-branded some semblance of an installation, something, or not, it looks more like a failure?

"If they are exclusively for supported PCs, in case mine is not supported, how come they are in the list of drivers for my laptop?"
There is the mention
"This package is available on supported notebooks that are running a
supported operating system. "
So, yes it can happen, sometimes there are updates, offered, for a model, but not applicable!
Sorry, I could not be of much help here, and as the computer, is old, no longer under warranty, telling you to ask hp directly, would not help I think

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote: 
If you have tried, with the procedure, indicated, have you re-branded some semblance of an installation, something, or not, it looks more like a failure?

I tried to install them and a partition is created (with the possibility to create it in a usb stick) called HP_TOOLS where files are inserted. The only difference I noticed is that at startup of the pc, pressing F2, you enter the hardware diagnostic utility, which without the installation of these drivers was shown as a simple black screen with white writing, while after the installation of these drivers is shown a GUI, with an additional command to update the BIOS, but since without an updated BIOS file is useless.

Is it possible that it's just a graphic update??

HP Recommended

HI

no

I think you're talking about this, it's possible

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Yes, section "Testing hardware with HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from an external USB device" when i have installed the driver on an external usb and boot with pressing F2, although graphically it is different, and "Using Basic HP PC Hardware Diagnostics" are the same style of the screen without that driver... Not equal, but the style is that
Plus i have an option to update the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

photo_2021-10-24_16-50-51.jpg

photo_2021-10-24_16-50-49.jpg

HP Recommended

so, I think we have the answer to the question here
This does not change the bios to UEFI, but this

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.