Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j051nr Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The issue is that the webcam cannot be detected by any software or device manager. Imaging devices is not present in my device manager. 

I have not seen the light of the wecam urn on at any point after i reinstalled windows 10. I do have the cyberlink youcam software installed and after booting that up and scanning or hardware changes i have been unsuccessfull. I have tried almost every solution, i even opened my laptop and checked the connections.

It seems to me that I need help getting the HP TrueVision Hd driver it seems and i cannot find that driver anywhere.

Any help would be appriciated

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Tij
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Does Webcam is listed in Device Manager?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

1. Firstly, let's Restart your computer.

If the problem persists, continue using these steps.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. If there is no Imaging devices category listed, select Action, then Scan for hardware changes.

Image: Scan for hardware changes

1. If Device Manager does not recognize the webcam after the scan, use Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time when the webcam was working properly.

If problems persist, the webcam might have become unplugged internally, and the computer might require service to correct the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • I am not exactly sure as to how long it has been since the webcam is not operational.
  • I had reset my Windows about 5 -8 months back. It is most likely that it has not been working since.
  • The sofware change would be that my windows has been reset.
  • Scanning for hardwre changes yeilds no result
  • There is no section on imaging devices in Device Manager ie webcam is not listed 
  • I have no restore point for when the webcam worked fine
  • I am computer enginer so i was able to strip the laptop down to the motherboard and check the connection and there seems to be no problem there too.

If my Webcam is working properly will it show up in dual boot on a ubuntu system?  

HP Recommended

@Tij

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. To get the answer to this question, yes it should show up. As you've performed all the relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists this sound like OS related issue hence I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same camera on my Envy 17 that has been broken since the first windows 10 update and HP have given all the same talk they are giving you and NOTHING ever worked for me! Please let me know if you are successful. 

HP Recommended

Hi .@Echo_Lake,

I am really unkeen on resetting windows. But once this lock down is lifted I'll have or shown at a hardware store to verify of the camera is working and not defective.

As for drew I'll let you know how it works out and everyone posted as soon as I get it working again. 

Really if someone can source this driver and send me a link to it that would also be helpful, as I may not have to reset windows. I feel the issue is occurring because originally my machine came with windows 8 and by free upgrades I have got windows 10. So even if I reset it is very likely that drivers are not installed properly and softwares that came bundled with my machine are missing because windows does not know how to anything properly anymore. 

HP Recommended

My laptop came with windows 10 and got screwed up with the update. I will never reset myself. Why should we its not our fault!

HP Recommended

Why does HP not show the webcam software to download?

HP Wide Vision HD Camera 

Today, I checked on my webcam, as a friend wants to learn skype - I then realized my webcam does not work.

1.  Nothing from above worked, I am A+ certified and do not want to do anything like screw up all my apps.

2.  This was a factory replacement within the last couple of months for a bad laptop.  

3.  Not going to do a factory reset - simply point me to where I can get the software.  

HP Recommended

Way to go Weimar-Police.  My sentiments exactly.  Show us the software. Backwards never.

HP Recommended

@Tij,

I am having the same issue and, afer an almost 3-day whatsapp chat with "support", I have been told it is a Hardware issue and to get in touch with Currys!

If you do get a resolution please re-post...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.