Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 360
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I bought this HP 360 Notebook second hand and up to now its worked really well. But after I changed the O/S to Linux I've used it for more sensative work at Uni and would dred to think someone walking away with it.

Its constantly updated to my desktop computer at home, so I wouldn't loose any data, but I'd rather not have some jerk try and hack into the hard drive just for the hell of it.

So I want to protect it as much as possible by encrypting the whole machine not just the hard drive. Theres a program on the laptop that activates if the login details are entered three times wrongly and starts to broardcast its position very accurately via GPS every 30sec untill the battery dies or is removed.

But I want to make it impossible to do anything to the machine.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Couple of issues with your concerns ...

First, it's unlclear whether you want full disk encryption for Linux or for Windows 7 -- so please specify which.

Second, one of the sad things I learned from working in InfoSec is that once someone has your hard drive in their possession, all encryption does is delay their access -- NOT prevent it.

If that person is a typical consumer, they'll try to crack the access (which they won't be able to do), give up after a few days, and replace the hard drive with a new one -- thus, getting FREE laptop in the process.

If that person works for an Intelligence Agency, they will have hardware that will crach the access very quickly,and have access to workarounds that we don't know about -- reference the recent access to the encrypted iPhone!!

So basically, the best way to protect information on a laptop from ANYONE getting it is simply to NOT have it there -- by using USB sticks with hardware encryption.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Couple of issues with your concerns ...

First, it's unlclear whether you want full disk encryption for Linux or for Windows 7 -- so please specify which.

Second, one of the sad things I learned from working in InfoSec is that once someone has your hard drive in their possession, all encryption does is delay their access -- NOT prevent it.

If that person is a typical consumer, they'll try to crack the access (which they won't be able to do), give up after a few days, and replace the hard drive with a new one -- thus, getting FREE laptop in the process.

If that person works for an Intelligence Agency, they will have hardware that will crach the access very quickly,and have access to workarounds that we don't know about -- reference the recent access to the encrypted iPhone!!

So basically, the best way to protect information on a laptop from ANYONE getting it is simply to NOT have it there -- by using USB sticks with hardware encryption.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello WAWood

Firstly the laptops original O/S was win 8 but hating that system I loaded Debian Linux to the whole disc. (To hell with windows).

I guess I new your answer before I came and looked at the forum for replies. As you say it would be easier for the jerk to chuck my hard disk in the bin and re-install a new one giving him a laptop to call his own.

I wouldn't think the corridors of Lincoln University harbour any one working for the security services, its rather dull at the best of times.

But the data on the hard drive (Unsuccessful attempts to create nano technology in a physical environment) could be useful to someone I expect. So I'll take your advice and start using encrypted USB sticks from now on.

Now I know where to come if anything crops up with the laptop.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.