Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys!

I decided to clean up my D drive and formatted it. Now I understand that it was a big mistake! But I still was lucky to recover most files with Power Data Recovery utility. Basically, all the files work fine, but some Excel files probably somehow damaged and cannot be opened. Is there a possibility to recover them? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Also I recommended  for your situation try to use for corrupted excel file recovery software like Excel Recovery Toolbox.  This should help also.

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/excel_recovery.html

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@VitorSoares

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Most likely, the answer is no.  Files are linked blocks of data and if one or more of those blocks gets overwritten, the complete file can never be recovered.

IF you're willing to spend some money, you could try using Active@File Recovery Pro -- as I have found it to do the best job of recovering files.  But ... there is no guarantee that it will work.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Oh, I'm sorry! but thanks for the answer!)

HP Recommended

First try File | Open ... browse for the file, then click the dropdown triangle on the Open button and choose Open and Repair.

If it prompts, the "Repair" options is better, but if it fails, try again, choosing "Extract".
Then, check the size of the recovered file.  Is it likely all your data is included?  if so, you can try to access the data from the file without opening it by creating an external reference.  

In cell A1 of a blank workbook, type a reference to the A1 cell of the corrupted workbook, following this format:
='C:\Folder\Path\[FileName.xlsx]SheeName'!A1
Beyond that, what is the file format?  There may be more options.

HP Recommended

Also I recommended  for your situation try to use for corrupted excel file recovery software like Excel Recovery Toolbox.  This should help also.

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/excel_recovery.html

HP Recommended
Hi, Thank you all for your time and great help. I really appreciate your feedback and I am very thankful for your time and support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.