Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 – 13t-ae000 CTO

It was working fine a few weeks ago.  I don't know if anything has been added/changed.

File Explorer will open but when I click on a file it stops responding.  It doesn't seem to matter what type of file.

I have done all the steps you recommended.  Still not working properly.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @MommaWaddy

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the File Explorer issue. 

Try these steps -

Step 1 Restart the explorer.exe Process using Task Manager -

1) Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager. Then locate Windows Explorer. 

2) Right click Windows Explorer and choose End task. 

3) On top of the Task Manager window, click File option and choose Run new task. 

4) Type explorer.exe in the box and then hit Enter. 

Step 2 Clear history cache -

1) Right click the File Explorer icon on the task bar, then choose Unpin from taskbar. 

2) On your keyboard, press Windows key and X at the same time, then select File Explorer from the list. 

3) Right click the Quick Access link and select Options. 

4) Under General tab, choose Clear under Privacy category. This will help you clear the File Explorer history. 

Step 3 Launch folder windows in a separate process - 

1) In the search box, type and open Control Panel. 

2) In the search box, located at the top right corner, type and open File Explorer Options.

3) Under Advanced settings, look for Launch folder windows in a separate process select the checkbox. 

4) Click on Apply and restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 4 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 5 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, try restoring the computer back to the date when it worked fine - 

1.) Save any open files and close all open programs.
2.) In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.
3.) On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.
4.) Click Next.
5.) Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.
6.) Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
7.) Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. 

8.) Click Yes in the warning that appears.
9.) System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.