Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-cd0003dx
Other

Previously I updated my windows 10 to windows 11 Home through the Microsoft's website using the Windows 11 Installation Assistant. The update was successful and everything was working fine. Then I replaced my 128 GB M.2 SSD with a 256 GB PCIe NVME SSD. So, I had to install windows 11 using a bootabe USB stick. Ever since the installation, my Synaptics Fingerprint sensor is not being recognized by the system. I need some help with this. I looked for Biometric Devices in device manager it is not listed there. I tried checking for updates, there no update at all. I tried installing the synaptics driver sp81786, it didn't work as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only suggestion I can offer as I posted earlier would be to check the advanced options section of the Windows update app in the settings menu and see if there are any optional updates that are available.

Hardly any of the drivers I posted worked for that person. 

He found them all under the W11 Windows updates optional updates section after I told him about the existence of that section.

"Thank you very much for the solution of my problem. I didn't know about the option to install further updates in that hidden Windows Update menu. In the menu were around 20 driver-updates, that Windows had recognized as not important. I started the debugging after your second reply with the installation of the hidden updates, that I haven't found before. After this installation, all devices worked properly and also my fingerprint reader was recognized again. So it seems like, every missing driver was included in the updates. Everything is now working fine!"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

In W11, there is an advanced options section in the Windows Update menu.

Check that section to see if there are additional driver updates that need to be installed.

You can refer to this discussion where the person had a similar problem with the missing fingerprint sensor...

Solved: Re: Missing Drivers after installing Windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8189475

HP Recommended

I don't think I can find the suitable driver there. There are drivers related to Intel and Realtek and not for synaptics or any biometric device. Could you provide any other solutions?

HP Recommended

The only suggestion I can offer as I posted earlier would be to check the advanced options section of the Windows update app in the settings menu and see if there are any optional updates that are available.

Hardly any of the drivers I posted worked for that person. 

He found them all under the W11 Windows updates optional updates section after I told him about the existence of that section.

"Thank you very much for the solution of my problem. I didn't know about the option to install further updates in that hidden Windows Update menu. In the menu were around 20 driver-updates, that Windows had recognized as not important. I started the debugging after your second reply with the installation of the hidden updates, that I haven't found before. After this installation, all devices worked properly and also my fingerprint reader was recognized again. So it seems like, every missing driver was included in the updates. Everything is now working fine!"

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. I installed everything that was on the optional updates and fortunately my fingerprint sensor was recognized. Didn't expect it was gonna work.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.